Much larger than his kin, the Manticore King’s scarred and wizened visage is punctuated by longsword-length teeth that grind and clatter together when he speaks. His coloration is direst crimson, and his black wings appear too withered for flight.
Huge monstrosity, lawful evil
Armor Class 16 (natural armor)
Hit Points 168 (16d12 + 64)
Speed 40 ft.
|19 (+4)||14 (+2)||18 (+4)||10 (+0)||14 (+2)||16 (+3)|
Saving Throws Strength +8, Constitution +8
Skills Athletics +8, Intimidation +7, Perception +6
Damage Resistances poison
Condition Immunities charmed, poisoned
Senses darkvision 120 ft., passive Perception 16
Languages Common, Draconic, Dwarvish
Challenge 9 (5,000 XP)
- Cursed. The Manticore King may not fly, levitate, or be polymorphed by any spell or effect.
- Legendary Resistance (2/day). If the Manticore King fails a saving throw, he can choose to succeed instead.
- Magic Weapons. The Manticore King’s weapon attacks are magical.
- Merciless Ferocity. The Manticore King has advantage on all opportunity attacks, and a creature reduced to 0 hp by his attacks has disadvantage on its first death saving throw.
- Penetrating Volley. If the Manticore King moves at least 20 feet in a straight line, all tail spike attacks made this round have advantage. A creature struck by these tail spike attacks must succeed on a DC 16 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone.
- Tail Spike Regrowth. The Manticore King has thirty-six tail spikes. Used spikes regrow when he finishes a long rest.
- Multiattack. Mantik makes three attacks: two with his claws and one with his bite or three with his tail spikes.
- Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 13 (2d8 + 4) piercing damage.
- Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 11 (2d6 + 4) slashing damage.
- Tail Spike. Ranged Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, range 100/200 ft., one target. Hit: 11 (2d8 + 2) piercing damage and the creature must succeed on a DC 16 Constitution saving throw or be poisoned until the end of its next turn. A creature poisoned by the tail spike has its speed halved and can’t take the Dash action.
- Roar of the Barbed King (Recharge 5–6). The Manticore King unleashes an ground-shaking roar. Each creature within 60 feet who can hear him must succeed on a DC 14 Wisdom saving throw or be incapacitated for 1d4 rounds.
The Manticore King can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature’s turn. Mantik regains spent legendary actions at the start of his turn.
- Move. The Manticore King moves up to his speed without provoking opportunity attacks.
- Growl (Costs 2 Actions). The Manticore King lets loose a throaty growl. Each creature within 60 feet who can hear him must succeed on a DC 14 Wisdom saving throw or be frightened of him until the end of its next turn.
- Tail Spike (Costs 2 Actions). The Manticore King makes a tail spike attack.
Inside the sandblasted walls of a ruined castle, the king of the manticores roars decrees to the wind. The oldest and most ferocious manticore sits atop the shattered throne of a long-forgotten kingdom. He is loved like a god by a loyal clan of kobolds, who bring the beast treasures and sacrifices.
Creature Codex. © 2018 Open Design LLC; Authors Wolfgang Baur, Dan Dillon, Richard Green, James Haeck, Chris Harris, Jeremy Hochhalter, James Introcaso, Chris Lockey, Shawn Merwin, and Jon Sawatsky.