A loathsome, horse-headed creature of elephantine bulk stretches its great slippery wings in malignant joy. The leering monstrosity calls out with tittering tones that rasp like the scratching of ground glass.
Large monstrosity, lawful evil
Armor Class 16 (natural armor)
Hit Points 123 (13d10 + 52)
Speed 10 ft., fly 60 ft.
|18 (+4)||12 (+1)||18 (+4)||6 (-2)||14 (+2)||8 (-1)|
Saving Throws Constitution +7, Wisdom +5
Skills Perception +5
Damage Resistances necrotic
Senses darkvision 120 ft., passive Perception 15
Languages understands Common and Void Speech, but can’t speak
Challenge 5 (1,800 XP)
- Eldritch Sight. Magical darkness doesn’t impede the shantak’s darkvision.
- Flyby. The shantak doesn’t provoke an opportunity attack when it flies out of an enemy’s reach.
- Keen Sight and Smell. The shantak has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight or smell.
- Magic Resistance. The shantak has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.
- Pack Tactics. The shantak has advantage on attack rolls against a creature if at least one of the shantak’s allies is within 5 feet of the creature and the ally isn’t incapacitated.
- Unctuous Hide. A shantak’s hide is very slippery. A rider can dismount a shantak without any penalty to movement speed. If an effect moves the shantak against its will while a creature is on it, the creature must succeed on a DC 15 Dexterity saving throw or fall off the shantak, landing prone in a space within 5 feet of it. If a rider is knocked prone or unconscious while mounted, it must make the same saving throw. In addition, the shantak can attempt to shake off a rider as a bonus action, forcing the rider to make the saving throw to stay mounted.
- Void Traveler. The shantak doesn’t require air, food, drink, or ambient pressure.
- Multiattack. The shantak makes two attacks: one with its bite and one with its talons.
- Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 11 (2d6 + 4) piercing damage plus 5 (1d10) necrotic damage.
- Talons. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 13 (2d8 + 4) slashing damage plus 5 (1d10) necrotic damage.
- Insane Tittering (Recharge 4-6). The shantak emits a horrific screech. Each non-shantak creature within 60 feet of it that can hear it must succeed on a DC 15 Constitution saving throw or be frightened until the end of the shantak’s next turn. The shantak can choose to include or exclude its rider when using this action.
Nameless Sentinels. The noisome and hippocephalic birds known as shantaks are the stuff of grotesque legends. These incredible, winged colossi originate from the fabled Mountains of Leng, where they brood amongst immense quarries and cyclopean cities of onyx.
Hideous Mounts. Shantaks often serve as mounts and servitors of arcane summoners and travelers of the Void (such as the inter-planar Folk of Leng). The rime and niter of the nether pits cling to the enormous wings of these repugnant beasts.
Creature Codex. © 2018 Open Design LLC; Authors Wolfgang Baur, Dan Dillon, Richard Green, James Haeck, Chris Harris, Jeremy Hochhalter, James Introcaso, Chris Lockey, Shawn Merwin, and Jon Sawatsky.