Large monstrosity, neutral
Armor Class 14 (natural armor)
Hit Points 114 (12d10 + 48)
Speed 40 ft., climb 40 ft.
|18 (+4)||16 (+3)||18 (+4)||8 (-1)||14 (+2)||8 (-1)|
- Hatred for Spellcasters. The white ape does one extra die of damage (d8 or d10, respectively) per attack against an enemy it has seen cast a spell.
- Multiattack. The ape makes one bite attack and two claw attacks.
- Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 13 (2d8 + 4) piercing damage, and the target must succeed on a DC 14 Constitution saving throw or contract the arcane wasting disease (see sidebar).
- Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 15 (2d10 + 4) slashing damage.
- Frenzy (1/Day). When two or more foes are adjacent to the ape, it can enter a deadly battle frenzy. Instead of using its normal multiattack, a frenzied white ape makes one bite attack and two claw attacks against each enemy within 5 feet of it. Melee attacks against the white ape are made with advantage from the end of that turn until the start of the white ape’s next turn.
This hulking primate looms over others of its kind. Its filthy white fur is matted and yellowed, and a deranged look haunts its blood-red eyes.
Awakened by Sorcery. White apes were once docile, gentle giants that roamed forested hills and savanna lands. Two thousand years ago, a kingdom of mages awakened the apes, raising their intelligence to near-human level so the beasts could be employed as soldiers and servants, protecting and replacing the humans who were slowly dying off. When the sorcerers died out, the apes remained.
Arcane Wasting. The enchantment that imbued the apes with intelligence also bleached their fur white and made them carriers of the arcane wasting, a disease that hastened their creators’ demise. The apes are immune to the wasting’s effects, but they can pass it to other humanoids. Among spellcasters, the wasting spreads like a plague.
Driven Away. The awakening enchantment also gave the white apes a strong desire to serve humans, but because of the risk from the disease, they are viciously driven away from settled areas. They are acutely aware of the injustice that was done to them, and generations of exile have turned their loyalty to animosity, especially toward arcane spellcasters.
White apes were created as the source of a major outbreak of the arcane wasting. It has never quite disappeared, and it remains a threat all along the western coast.
Tome of Beasts. Copyright 2016, Open Design; Authors Chris Harris, Dan Dillon, Rodrigo Garcia Carmona, and Wolfgang Baur.