The creature known as White Death, the Avalanche dwells in the high and snowy mountains, where it preys on those who attempt the treacherous passes. When snow and ice come to the lowlands, it expands its hunting grounds.
Solitary and Voracious. White Death, the Avalanche has long since driven out or eaten every other yeti that shared its territory. It devours anything with a pulse indiscriminately, going into extended periods of seclusion after its largest meals.
Terror in the Snow. White Death, the Avalanche has a nearly magical level of control over snow-covered terrain. It can blend in or simply bury itself in snow as it waits for prey, and it can cause the mountains to shudder and shake, bringing down hundreds of tons of snow – and earning its moniker.
Gargantuan monstrosity, neutral
Armor Class 17 (natural armor)
Hit Points 294 (19d20 + 95)
Speed 60 ft., climb 40 ft.
|22 (+6)||10 (+0)||20 (+5)||5 (-3)||12 (+1)||7 (-2)|
Saving Throws Constitution+10
Skills Perception +6, Stealth +5
Damage Vulnerabilities fire
Damage Resistances acid, fire, lightning, necrotic, thunder
Damage Immunities cold
Condition Immunities frightened
Senses darkvision 600 ft., passive Perception 16
Challenge 14 (11.500 XP)
- Colossal Creature. Kaiju are creatures far larger than the scale of others. Conventional weapons, even highly-enchanted ones, lack the mass to deal serious wounds to a kaiju. The same is true for all but the mightiest spells. When a creature of Huge size or smaller deals damage to a kaiju with a weapon or feature, or with a spell of 8th level or lower, its damage is halved, and can be reduced further by resistance or saving throws. Siege weapons and creatures with the Siege Monster trait are treated like Gargantuan creatures. Creatures of size Huge and smaller can move through or occupy a kaiju’s space. Gargantuan creatures and 9th-level spells (including lower-level spells cast with 9th-level slots) deal normal damage, which can be reduced further by resistance or saving throws. Kaiju deal double damage to objects and structures. They ignore normal difficult terrain, and treat thick forests, settlements, or mountains as difficult rather than impassable terrain.
- Legendary Resistance (3/Day). If White Death, the Avalanche fails a saving throw, it can choose to succeed instead.
- Keen Scent. White Death, the Avalanche has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on smell.
- Cold. White Death, the Avalanche generates intense cold. A creature that touches it or hits it with a melee attack while within 5 feet of it takes 10 (3d6) cold damage. When White Death, the Avalanche starts its turn and is grappling a creature, that creature takes 21 (6d6) cold damage.
- Multiattack. White Death, the Avalanche makes two claw attacks. If it hits a single creature with two claw attacks in the same turn, the creature suffers an additional 10 (3d6) slashing damage and 10 (3d6) cold damage.
- Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +11 to hit, reach 20 ft., one target. Hit: 20 (4d6 + 6) slashing damage and 10 (3d6) cold damage, and the target is grappled (escape DC 19). White Death, the Avalanche can grapple up to two creatures simultaneously, but not more than one creature with the Colossal Creatures trait.
- Icy Breath (Recharge 6). White Death, the Avalanche exhales an icy blast in a 300-ft. cone. Each creature in that area must make a DC 18 Constitution saving throw, taking 70 (20d6) cold damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
White Death, the Avalanche can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature’s turn. White Death, the Avalanche regains spent legendary actions at the start of its turn.
- Claw. White Death, the Avalanche makes one claw attack.
- Frightful Gaze. White Death, the Avalanche forces one creature that it can see and that can see it to make a DC 18 Wisdom saving throw. On a failure, the creature is paralyzed for 1 minute. At the end of each of its turns, it can make a new saving throw, ending the effect on a success.
- Icy Tomb (2 Actions). While White Death, the Avalanche is in areas capable of producing avalanches, it can trigger an avalanche that strikes all creatures and objects on the ground within 500 ft. of it. Each creature in the area other than White Death, the Avalanche must make a DC 18 Dexterity saving throw. Creatures that fail suffer 21 (6d6) bludgeoning damage and 21 (6d6) cold damage, and are restrained. On a success, they suffer half damage and are not restrained. At the beginning of each turn that a creature remains restrained, it suffers 21 (6d6) cold damage. At the end of each of its turns, it can make a DC 18 Strength saving throw, ending the restrained effect on a success. Once White Death, the Avalanche uses this action, it can’t do so in the same area again until the next snowfall.
Kaiju Codex. © copyright 2015 Steven D. Russell; Authors Elaine Betts and Justin P. Sluder