Gargantuan ooze, chaotic neutral
Armor Class 21 (magical force)
Hit Points 594 (36d20 + 216)
Speed 40 ft., fly 120 ft.
|8 (-1)||27 (+8)||22 (+6)||16 (+3)||20 (+5)||21 (+5)|
Saving Throws Charisma+12
Skills Nature +10, Perception +12, Stealth +15
Damage Vulnerabilities force
Damage Resistances lightning, necrotic, bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical attacks
Damage Immunities acid, cold, fire, poison, thunder
Condition Immunities charmed, exhaustion, frightened, grappled, paralyzed, petrified, poisoned, prone, restrained
Senses blindsight 200 ft., passive Perception 22
Languages Common (cannot speak)
Challenge 22 (41,000 XP)
- Colossal Creature. Kaiju are creatures far larger than the scale of others. Conventional weapons, even highly-enchanted ones, lack the mass to deal serious wounds to a kaiju. The same is true for all but the mightiest spells. When a creature of Huge size or smaller deals damage to a kaiju with a weapon or feature, or with a spell of 8th level or lower, it deals half damage, which can be reduced further by resistance or saving throws. Siege weapons and creatures with the Siege Monster trait are treated like Gargantuan creatures. Gargantuan creatures and 9th-level spells (including lower-level spells cast with 9th-level slots) deal normal damage, which can be reduced further by resistance or saving throws. Kaiju deal double damage to objects and structures. They ignore normal difficult terrain, and treat thick forests, settlements, or mountains as difficult rather than impassable terrain.
- Amorphous. The Voice of Beyond has no shape of its own. It is immune to polymorph effects.
- Incorporeal Movement. The Voice of Beyond can move through other creatures and objects. It takes 5 (1d10) force damage if it ends its turn inside an object.
- Legendary Resistance (3/Day). If the Voice of Beyond fails a saving throw, it can choose to succeed instead.
- Vulnerability to Force Effects. The Voice of Beyond suffers disadvantage on all saving throws against effects that deal force damage. Its aura of lassitude and feed abilities are blocked by creations of magical force.
- Incorporeal Trample. When the Voice of Beyond moves, it can spend its action to use Disintegrating Touch against every creature in its path. Opportunity attacks provoked by this movement are made with disadvantage and cannot change the Voice of Beyond’s speed.
- Disintegrating Touch. The Voice of Beyond chooses one creature or object that it can see within 120 feet. The creature must succeed on a DC 21 Dexterity saving throw, or take 106 (19d6 + 40) force damage. If this damage reduces the target to 0 hit points, its body becomes a pile of fine gray dust. Unlike other disintegration effects, the Voice of Beyond’s disintegrating touch does not automatically destroy creations of magical force.
- Feed. The Voice of Beyond chooses one living creature within 1000 feet. This does not require line of effect, but cannot target the same creature more than once per day. The creature makes a DC 21 Charisma saving throw. On a failure, the target suffers 70 (20d6) necrotic damage, and its maximum hit points are reduced by the same amount. On a success, it suffers half damage and its maximum hit points are not reduced. If this damage reduces a creature to 0 hit points, it becomes a desiccated corpse and rises as a wraith under the Voice of Beyond’s control at the start of its next turn.
The Voice of Beyond can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature’s turn. The Voice of Beyond regains spent legendary actions at the start of its turn.
- Disintegrating Touch. The Voice of Beyond makes one disintegrating touch attack.
- Detect. The Voice of Beyond makes a Wisdom (Perception) check.
- Recover. The Voice of Beyond regains 75 hit points. If it has used Feed since the beginning of its previous turn, it instead regains 150 hit points. Once it uses this ability, it cannot do so again until the end of its next turn.
The region around the Voice of Beyond is marked with its power, which creates the following effects.
- Aura of Lassitude. Creatures that complete a short or long rest within 1 mile of the Voice of Beyond must make a DC 20 Charisma saving throw. On a failure, the creature suffers disadvantage on all Wisdom and Charisma saving throws until it completes a long rest, and it does not willingly travel farther than a mile from where it was when it failed the saving throw. Dispel evil and good (used to break an enchantment), greater restoration, or more powerful magic can end this effect.
- Plant and animal life is blighted within 6 miles of the Voice of Beyond.
- Sentient creatures that die within 1 mile of the Voice of Beyond rise immediately as wraiths.
The Voice of Beyond is an intruder in this world, dreamed into being by entropic and malignant forces. The land near bears the signs of its presence: silence and torpor, which only make it easier for the Voice of Beyond to feed upon them.
Innately Destructive. The Voice of Beyond’s presence in a region is inimical to the growth, health, and mental acuity of every kind of creature, save those entities that share its nature. When it is passive, nothing can thrive; when it is active, it destroys the very concept of form, disintegrating matter with a touch. Though it cannot destroy a soul, it can corrupt them with undeath.
No Drive Save Existence. For all of its power to ruin life, form, and thought, the Voice of Beyond has no driving goal except sustaining its own catastrophic existence. When it has fed upon and blighted everything in an area, it moves on and the annihilation begins anew.
Kaiju Codex. © copyright 2015 Steven D. Russell; Authors Elaine Betts and Justin P. Sluder