Medium outsider, any alignment
Armor Class: 15
Hit Points 16 (3d8+3)
Speed: 30 ft., fly 90 ft..
|0 (0)||12 (+1)||12 (+1)||18 (+4)||12 (+1)||18 (+4)|
Skills: Arcana +6, History +6, Insight +3, Nature +6, Perception +3, Perform +10, Religion +6, All musical instruments +10
Senses: passive Perception 13
Damage Resistances: acid, fire, lightning, thunder, bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical attacks
Damage Immunities: poison
Condition Immunities: grappled, paralyzed, petrified, poisoned, prone, restrained
Languages: All languages
Challenge: 2 (400 XP)
- Incorporeal Movement: The mercurial can move through other creatures and objects as if they were difficult terrain. It takes 5 (1d10) force damage if it ends its turn inside an object.
- Bonded: The muse is bonded to the bard who summons it. The muse cannot move further than 30 feet away from the bard to whom it is bound. If the bard dies, the muse also dies.
- Inspiration: The muse is able to use bardic inspiration as a third-level bard. It has 4d6 bardic inspiration dice.
- Manifestation: At will, the muse can manifest itself. While manifested, the muse becomes visible and assumes a physical form (which can be harmed and killed normally). While manifested, the muse cannot move farther than 30 feet from the bard (although if the bard moves, the muse must move with the bard).
- Short Sword. Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., 1 targets. Hit: 4 (1d6+1) slashing damage.
- Short Bow. Ranged Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, range 30/120 ft., 1 target. Hit: 3 (1d6) piercing damage.
A muse is highly sought after by bards throughout the planes as a spiritual and creative guide. The muse is intimately tied to the bard who summons it.
A muse typically exists in an incorporeal form visible only to the bard to whom it is bound. As long as it remains in that form, it is essentially invulnerable to physical harm and can only be detected through magical means (such as a true seeing spell).
In order to use its powers, however, a muse must manifest. In manifesting itself, the muse takes on a physical form. The form is composed of pure energy, but can be injured normally. A muse may have any appearance in its physical manifestation (although representations of young women and animals are most typical).
Familiars & Companions, Copyright 2017, Troll Lord Games; Author Casey Christofferson, Justin Bacon, Tommy Ruteledge, Josh Hubbel, Lance Hawvermile, Luke Johnson, Stephen Vogel and Dave Zenz.