A tiny flower with shining black petals sways lightly on its thorny stem.
Tiny plant, unaligned
Armor Class 12 (natural armor)
Hit Points 44 (8d4 + 24)
Speed 10 ft.
|10 (+0)||6 (–2)||16 (+3)||1 (–5)||6 (–2)||18 (+4)|
Condition Immunities blinded, deafened, frightened
Senses blindsight 120 ft. passive Perception 8
Languages understands all languages known by creatures within 120 feet, but can’t speak, telepathy 120 ft.
Challenge 3 (700 XP)
- Blur. Creatures have disadvantage on attack rolls against the gloomflower. An attacker is immune to this effect if it doesn’t rely on sight, as with blindsight, or can see through illusions, as with truesight.
- Psychic Scream. Whenever the gloomflower takes damage, each creature within 10 feet of the gloomflower must succeed on a DC 14 Wisdom saving throw or take 7 (2d6) psychic damage.
- Multiattack. The gloomflower makes two psychic strike attacks.
- Psychic Strike. Ranged Spell Attack: +6 to hit, range 120 ft., one target. Hit: 10 (3d6) psychic damage.
- Corrupting Visions (Recharge 5–6). Each creature of the gloomflower’s choice that is within 60 feet of the gloomflower and aware of it must make a DC 14 Wisdom saving throw. On a failure, a creature is bombarded with visions of its fears and anxieties for 1 minute. While bombarded, it takes 7 (2d6) psychic damage at the start of each of its turns and must spend its action to make one melee attack against a creature within 5 feet of it, other than the gloomflower or itself. If the creature can’t make a melee attack, it takes the Dodge action. The creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success. On a success, a creature is incapacitated by hallucinations until the end of its next turn but isn’t bombarded with visions of its fears and anxieties. A creature that is reduced to 0 hp by this psychic damage falls unconscious and is stable. When that creature regains consciousness, it suffers permanent hallucinations and has disadvantage on ability checks until cured by a remove curse spell or similar magic.
Corpse Blooms. Gloomflowers are tiny blooms that thrive in the umbral light of the Shadow Realm. When a wanderer dies or goes mad within the darkness, a single gloomflower blooms in the shadow of its corpse. Some shadow fey say that the tortured mind of that creature now inhabits the ebon petals of the gloomflower, the air around the flower humming with its silent screams.
Creature Codex. © 2018 Open Design LLC; Authors Wolfgang Baur, Dan Dillon, Richard Green, James Haeck, Chris Harris, Jeremy Hochhalter, James Introcaso, Chris Lockey, Shawn Merwin, and Jon Sawatsky.