Huge plant, chaotic evil
Armor Class 15 (natural armor)
Hit Points 207 (18d12 + 90)
Speed 10 ft.
|23 (+6)||7 (-2)||21 (+5)||12 (+1)||20 (+5)||12 (+1)|
Damage Immunities bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical weapons, fire
Condition Immunities exhausted, poisoned, prone, psychic
Senses passive Perception 15
Challenge 12 (8,400 XP)
- False Appearance. If the shadowy tree remains motionless, it is indistinguishable from a normal tree.
- Magic Resistance. The shadowy tree has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.
- Multiattack. The shadowy tree makes four slam attacks and one bite attack.
- Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +10 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 28 (4d10 + 6) piercing damage plus 13 (3d8) necrotic damage, and the target is grappled (escape DC 17). Until this grapple ends, the target is restrained, and the shadowy tree can’t bite another target.
- Slam. Melee Weapon Attack: +10 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 22 (3d10 + 6) bludgeoning damage. The target must also make a DC 17 Dexterity check or be knocked prone.
- Swallow. The shadowy tree makes one bite attack against a Large or smaller target it is grappling. If the attack hits, the target is swallowed, and the grapple ends. The swallowed target is blinded and restrained. If has total cover against attacks and other effects outside the shadowy tree, and it takes 17 (5d6) necrotic damage at the start of each of the shadowy tree’s turns. The tree can only have one target swallowed at a time. If the shadowy tree dies, a swallowed creature is no longer restrained by it and can escape from the trunk using 5 feet of movement, exiting prone.
Without warning, the tree in front of you suddenly blackens and turns into a creepy, tangled monster. This evil plant lies in wait until suitable prey wanders near. The shadowy tree is made of a dark energy that protects it against fire.
Wrong Place, Wrong Time. If a creature gets too close to this evil tree, it could be the last thing they do. This horrid plant can swallow its victims.
Packs a Wallop. Not only can the shadowy tree bite and swallow victims, it can also slam its branches into them. The victims of this tree often litter the ground around it. Piles of broken skeletons lying at the base of a tree provide a clear warning.
Monsters of Feyland A Collection Of Monsters For 5th Edition © 2018 Cawood Publishing, Author Andrew Cawood