Medium undead, neutral evil
Armor Class 15
Hit Points 82 (11d8 + 33)
Speed 0 ft., fly 60 ft. (hover)
|6 (-2)||20 (+5)||16 (+3)||18 (+4)||16 (+3)||20 (+5)|
Saving Throws Dex +8, Con +6, Wis +6
Skills Perception +6, Stealth +8
Damage Resistances acid, cold, fire, lightning, thunder; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical weapons that aren’t silvered
Damage Immunities necrotic, poison
Condition Immunities charmed, exhaustion, grappled, paralyzed, petrified, poisoned, prone, restrained
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 16
Languages the languages it knew in life
Challenge 7 (2,900 XP)
- Flicker. The deathwisp flickers in and out of sight, and ranged weapon attacks against it are made with disadvantage.
- Incorporeal Movement. The deathwisp can move through other creatures and objects as if they were difficult terrain. It takes 5 (1d10) force damage if it ends its turn inside a solid object.
- Shadow Jump. A deathwisp can travel between shadows as if by means of dimension door. This magical transport must begin and end in an area with at least some shadow. A shadow fey can jump up to a total of 40 feet per day; this may be a single jump of 40 feet, four jumps of 10 feet each, etc. This ability must be used in 10-foot increments.
- Sunlight Sensitivity. While in sunlight, the deathwisp has disadvantage on attack rolls, as well as on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight.
- Unnatural Aura. Animals do not willingly approach within 30 feet of a deathwisp, unless a master makes a successful DC 15 Wisdom (Animal Handling) check.
- Life Drain. Melee Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 36 (7d8 + 5) necrotic damage. The target must succeed on a DC 15 Constitution saving throw, or its hit point maximum is reduced by an amount equal to the damage taken. This reduction lasts until the target finishes a long rest. The target dies if this effect reduces its hit point maximum to 0.
- Create Deathwisp. The deathwisp targets a humanoid within 10 feet of it that died violently less than 1 minute ago. The target’s spirit rises as a wraith in the space of its corpse or in the nearest unoccupied space. This wraith is under the deathwisp’s control. The deathwisp can keep no more than five wraiths under its control at one time.
A shadowy figure flickers in and out of view. Its indistinct shape betrays a sylvan ancestry, and its eyes are malevolent blue points of light.
Fey Undead. A deathwisp is a wraith-like spirit created in the Shadow Realm from the violent death of a shadow fey or evil fey.
Rift Walkers. Many deathwisps remain among the shadows, but a few enter the natural world through planar rifts and gates, or by walking along shadow roads between the worlds. Retaining only a trace of their former personality and knowledge, their lost kindness has been replaced with malice.
Devour Breath. A deathwisp feasts on the breath of living things, and invariably seeks to devour animals and solitary intelligent prey. It is quite intelligent and avoids fights against greater numbers.
Tome of Beasts. Copyright 2016, Open Design; Authors Chris Harris, Dan Dillon, Rodrigo Garcia Carmona, and Wolfgang Baur.