Medium undead, lawful neutral
Armor Class 18 (natural armor)
Hit Points 136 (16d8 + 64)
Speed 0 ft., fly 40 ft. (hover)
|18 (+4)||17 (+3)||18 (+4)||15 (+2)||20 (+5)||16 (+3)|
Saving Throws Dex +8, Con +9, Wis +10
Skills Arcana +7, History +7, Intimidation +8, Perception +10, Religion +12
Damage Resistances cold, lightning, necrotic
Damage Immunities poison; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical weapons
Condition Immunities charmed, exhaustion, frightened, paralyzed, poisoned
Senses truesight 60 ft., passive Perception 20
Languages the languages it spoke in life; telepathy 120 ft.
Challenge 13 (10,000 XP)
- Incorporeal Movement. The haugbui can move through other creatures and objects as if they were difficult terrain. It takes 5 (1d10) force damage if it ends its turn inside an object.
- Innate Spellcasting. The haugbui’s innate spellcasting ability is Wisdom (spell save DC 18). It can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:
- Constant: detect thoughts, invisibility, mage hand, scrying
- At will: dancing lights, druidcraft, mending, spare the dying
- 7/day: bane, create or destroy water, fog cloud, purify food and drink
- 5/day: blindness/deafness, gust of wind, locate object, moonbeam, shatter
- 3/day: bestow curse, dispel magic, plant growth, remove curse, telekinesis
- 1/day: blight, contagion, dream
- 1/week: geas, hallow
- Legendary Resistance (3/Day). If the haugbui fails a saving throw it can choose to succeed instead.
- Sepulchral Scrying (1/Day). An invisible magical eye is created under the haugbui’s control, allowing it to watch its territory without leaving the burial mound. The eye travels at the speed of thought and can be up to 5 miles from the haugbui’s location. The haugbui can see and hear as if it were standing at the eye’s location, and it can use its innate spellcasting abilities as if it were at the eye’s location. The eye can be noticed with a successful DC 18 Wisdom (Perception) check and can be dispelled as if it were 3rd-level spell. Spells that block other scrying spells work against Sepulchral Scrying as well. Unless dismissed by its creator or dispelled, lasts for up to 12 hours after its creation; only one can be created per 24-hour period.
- Sunlight Sensitivity. While in sunlight, the haugbui has disadvantage on attack rolls, as well as on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight.
- Turn Resistance. The haugbui has advantage on saving throws against any effect that turns undead.
- Multiattack. The haugbui makes two psychic claw attacks.
- Psychic Claw. Ranged Magical Attack: +10 to hit, range 40 ft., one target. Hit: 32 (6d8 + 5) psychic damage.
A thick swirl of dust rises, settles, and forms the vague outline of a man-two points of yellow light shine where its eyes should be, staring malevolently.
Mound Haunter. A haugbui is an undead spirit tied to its burial mound or barrow. It serves as a familiar, protective spirit to nearby farmsteads or villages, so long as tribute is regularly paid to the haugbui. Traditional offerings may include pouring the first beer from a barrel, leaving portions of meals out overnight, sacrificing blood or livestock, or burying a portion of any income in the mound. A freshly-woken haugbui devours the remains of creatures it was buried with, such as a hawk, hound, or horse.
Milder Spirits. Haugbuis are related to vaettir, but much older. They are more humble and less prone to taking umbrage, and indeed, a great many haugbui have long since forgotten their own names. They are not quick to spill blood when irritated, and thus are viewed with greater tolerance by the living.
Scrye and Watch. They prefer to watch over their people from within their mound, and only come forth over the most grievous insults or injuries. They can do a great deal from within their mounds thanks to their scrying ability.
Tome of Beasts. Copyright 2016, Open Design; Authors Chris Harris, Dan Dillon, Rodrigo Garcia Carmona, and Wolfgang Baur.