Medium undead, neutral evil
Armor Class 15 (natural armor)
Hit Points 105 (14d8 + 42)
Speed 30 ft., burrow 30 ft.
|18 (+4)||12 (+2)||17 (+3)||7 (-2)||12 (+1)||10 (+0)|
Damage Resistances bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical weapons
Damage Immunities necrotic, poison
Condition Immunities charmed, exhaustion, grappled, frightened, paralyzed, petrified, poisoned, prone, restrained, unconscious
Senses darkvision 60 ft., tremorsense 60 ft., passive Perception 11
Languages all languages it knew in life
Challenge 6 (2,300 XP)
- Camouflage. While in desert environments, the sand silhouette can use the Hide action even while under direct observation.
- Sand Form. The sand silhouette can move through a space as narrow as 1 inch wide without squeezing.
- Sand Glide. The sand silhouette can burrow through nonmagical, loose sand without disturbing the material it is moving through. It is invisible while burrowing this way.
- Vulnerability to Water. For every 5 feet the sand silhouette moves while touching water, or for every gallon of water splashed on it, it takes 2 (1d4) cold damage. If the sand silhouette is completely immersed in water, it takes 10 (4d4) cold damage.
- Multiattack. The sand silhouette makes two slam attacks.
- Slam. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 14 (3d6 + 4) bludgeoning damage. If both attacks hit a Medium or smaller target, the target is grappled (escape DC 14), and the sand silhouette engulfs it.
- Engulf. The sand silhouette engulfs a Medium or smaller creature grappled by it. The engulfed target is blinded and restrained, but no longer grappled. It must make a successful DC 15 Constitution saving throw at the start of each of the sand silhouette’s turns or take 14 (3d6 + 4) bludgeoning damage. If the sand silhouette moves, the engulfed target moves with it. The sand silhouette can only engulf one creature at a time.
- Haunted Haboob (Recharge 4-6). The sand silhouette turns into a 60-foot radius roiling cloud of dust and sand filled with frightening shapes. A creature that starts its turn inside the cloud must choose whether to close its eyes and be blinded until the start of its next turn, or keep its eyes open and make a DC 15 Wisdom saving throw. If the saving throw fails, the creature is frightened for 1 minute. A frightened creature repeats the Wisdom saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.
Sand silhouettes are spirits of those who died in desperation in sandy ground, buried during sandstorms, thrown into dry wells, or the victims of a dune collapse. Looking like a shadow stretched out along the ground, a sand silhouette’s erratic movements are difficult to discern.
Sand Bodies. If disturbed or agitated, these restless souls cause the sand around them to swirl and form into a loose vortex that vaguely resembles their physical body in life. They can control these shapes as they controlled their physical bodies.
Traceless Movement. Sand silhouettes glide through the sand without leaving a trace or creating any telltale sign of their approach, which makes it easy for them to surprise even cautious travelers with their sudden attacks from below.
Tome of Beasts. Copyright 2016, Open Design; Authors Chris Harris, Dan Dillon, Rodrigo Garcia Carmona, and Wolfgang Baur.