Medium undead, neutral evil
Armor Class 14
Hit Points 110 (13d8 + 52)
Speed 0 ft., fly 60 ft. (hover)
|6 (-2)||18 (+4)||18 (+4)||11 (+0)||16 (+3)||18 (+4)|
Saving Throws Dex +7, Wis +6
Damage Resistances acid, fire, lightning, thunder; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage from nonmagical weapons
Damage Immunities cold, necrotic, poison
Condition Immunities charmed, exhaustion, frightened, grappled, paralyzed, petrified, poisoned, prone, restrained
Senses blindsight 10 ft., darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 13
Languages understands the languages it knew in life but can’t speak
Challenge 6 (2,300 XP)
- Incorporeal Movement. The spectral guardian can move through other creatures and objects as if they were difficult terrain. It takes 5 (1d10) force damage if it ends its turn inside an object.
- Tomb Bound. The spectral guardian is bound to the area it defends. It can’t move more than 100 feet from the place it is bound to protect.
- Withering Miasma. A creature that starts its turn in the spectral guardian’s space must make a successful DC 15 Constitution saving throw or take 18 (4d8) necrotic damage and its hit point maximum is reduced by an amount equal to the necrotic damage taken. This reduction lasts until the creature finishes a long rest.
- Multiattack. The spectral guardian makes two spectral rend attacks.
- Spectral Rend. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 13 (2d8 + 4) necrotic damage. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 14 Wisdom saving throw or be frightened and have its speed reduced to 0; both effects last until the end of its next turn.
A luminous green mist swirls into the form of an ancient warrior. Dented armor and a ragged cloak enshroud the warrior’s skeletal body, and its grinning skull leers out from an open helm.
Worn Finery. Composed of faintly glowing green vapor, the spectral guardian is a skeletal being encased in ancient armor or noble’s finery. The cloth is worn and tattered, spiraling away into mist at the edges, and the creature glides with the faintest whisper of sound like a mournful moan from far away.
Eternal Disgrace. The spectral guardian is the spirit of an ancient warrior or noble, bound to serve in death as it failed to do in life. A broken oath, an act of cowardice, or a curse laid down by the gods for a terrible betrayal leaves an indelible mark on a soul.
After the cursed creature’s death, its spirit rises, unquiet, in a place closely related to its disgrace. Compelled by the crushing weight of its deeds, the spectral guardian knows no rest or peace, and viciously snuffs out all life that intrudes upon its haunt.
Undead Nature. A spectral guardian doesn’t require air, food, drink, or sleep.
Tome of Beasts. Copyright 2016, Open Design; Authors Chris Harris, Dan Dillon, Rodrigo Garcia Carmona, and Wolfgang Baur.