The figure looks like any other knight in black plate armor until its ebon longsword strikes true, draining the life force of those it hits.
Medium undead, neutral evil
Armor Class 20 (plate, shield)
Hit Points 127 (15d8 + 60)
Speed 30 ft.
|20 (+5)||14 (+2)||18 (+4)||13 (+1)||17 (+3)||14 (+2)|
Saving Throws Dexterity +6, Constitution +8, Wisdom +7
Skills Athletics +9, Perception +7
Damage Resistances necrotic; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical attacks
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 17
Languages the languages it knew in life
Challenge 11 (7,200 XP)
- Regeneration. The vampiric knight regains 20 hp at the start of its turn if it has at least 1 hp and isn’t in running water. If it takes radiant damage or damage from holy water, this trait doesn’t function at the start of the vampiric knight’s next turn.
- Vampire Weaknesses. The vampiric knight has the following flaws:
- Forbiddance. The vampiric knight can’t enter a residence without an invitation from one of the occupants.
- Harmed by Running Water. The vampiric knight takes 20 acid damage if it ends its turn in running water.
- Stake to the Heart. If a piercing weapon made of wood is driven into the vampiric knight’s heart while the knight is incapacitated in its resting place, the vampiric knight is paralyzed until the stake is removed.
- Undead Nature. The vampiric knight doesn’t require air.
- Multiattack. The vampiric knight makes two impaling longsword attacks.
- Impaling Longsword. Melee Weapon Attack: +9 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 9 (1d8 + 5) slashing damage, or 10 (1d10 +5) slashing damage if used with two hands, plus 9 (2d8) necrotic damage. The vampiric knight impales the target on its longsword, grappling the target if it is a Medium or smaller creature (escape DC 17). Until the grapple ends, the target is restrained, takes 9 (2d8) necrotic damage at the start of each of its turns, and the vampiric knight can’t make longsword attacks against other targets.
- Channel Corruption (Recharge 5–6). Each living creature within 20 feet of the vampiric knight must make a DC 17 Constitution saving throw, taking 42 (12d6) necrotic damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
- Shield. When a creature makes an attack against an allied vampire, the knight can grant the vampire a +3 bonus to its AC if the knight is within 5 feet of the vampire.
Born in Despair. A vampiric knight is created when a holy knight is brought low on the field of battle by a vampire. Rather than taking on the traits of a normal vampire, the knight turns into a unique creature, destined to serve its murderer for eternity.
Unaffected by Sunlight. The process of a vampiric knight’s rebirth makes it immune to the effects of sunlight, unlike a normal vampire. This makes the knight a valued servant, capable of delivering messages—or death—at any moment.
Creature Codex. © 2018 Open Design LLC; Authors Wolfgang Baur, Dan Dillon, Richard Green, James Haeck, Chris Harris, Jeremy Hochhalter, James Introcaso, Chris Lockey, Shawn Merwin, and Jon Sawatsky.