Pious servants of the sun god, dwarven graveslayers belong to an elite group of undead-slaying warriors. Trained and drilled from an early age in the art of battle, these dwarves are molded into fanatical fighters against the skeletons, zombies, and worse creatures that threaten their mountain homeland. Although not full paladins, the graveslayers have blessings from the sun god that grant them the ability to channel holy power through their weapons and ensure that the undead they slay do not rise up again. The bodies of any fallen comrades are carried back home whenever possible to ensure they do not line up against the dwarves as undead opponents in the future.
Medium humanoid (dwarf), any non-evil alignment
Armor Class 18 (plate)
Hit Points 112 (15d8 + 45)
Speed 25 ft.
|18 (+4)||10 (+0)||17 (+3)||10 (+0)||14 (+2)||13 (+1)|
Saving Throws Wisdom +4, Charisma +3
Skills Intimidation +3, Religion +2
Damage Resistances necrotic, poison
Condition Immunities charmed, frightened
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 12
Languages Common, Dwarvish
Challenge 4 (1,100 XP)
- Multiattack. The graveslayer makes two attacks with its blessed battleaxe.
- Blessed Battleaxe. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 8 (1d8 + 4) slashing damage, or 9 (1d10 + 4) slashing damage if used with two hands, plus 7 (2d6) radiant damage. If the target is undead, it takes an extra 3 (1d6) radiant damage. The blessed battleaxe is silvered, and it is magical while in the graveslayer’s hands.
- Handaxe. Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft. or range 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d6 + 4) slashing damage.
- Turn Undead (Recharges after a Short or Long Rest). The graveslayer presents its holy symbol and says a prayer. Each undead creature within 30 feet that can see or hear it must succeed on a DC 12 Wisdom saving throw or be turned for 1 minute or until it takes damage. A turned undead must spend its turns trying to move as far away from the graveslayer as it can, and it can’t take reactions or willingly move to a space within 30 feet of the graveslayer.
- Brave Sacrifice. When an ally within 5 feet of the graveslayer is the target of an attack the graveslayer can see, the graveslayer can swap places with the ally, becoming the target instead.
Variant: Corrupted Graveslayers
The necromancers of the Blood Kingdom regularly animate the corpses of dwarven raiders as zombies. When a graveslayer’s body is available, they use dark rituals to corrupt its soul, enlisting it to fight against its former comrades.
A corrupted graveslayers’ type changes from humanoid to undead, and it inflicts extra necrotic (rather than radiant) damage with its battleaxe. It loses the ability to turn undead.
Creature Codex. © 2018 Open Design LLC; Authors Wolfgang Baur, Dan Dillon, Richard Green, James Haeck, Chris Harris, Jeremy Hochhalter, James Introcaso, Chris Lockey, Shawn Merwin, and Jon Sawatsky.