In spite of, or perhaps because of, its slight statue, a gnomish knife cultist presents an unnerving figure. Its slightly unkempt hair pokes out from beneath a hat, and it constantly fidgets and shifts on its feet. Laughter erupts from it at inopportune moments during conversations. Gnomish knife cultists are the demon wranglers of their cults, summoning and managing whatever demons the cult needs to further its goals. They often can’t resist the call of demons and have been known to summon rampaging demons unbidden, leading to many interrupted harvests or market days.
Small humanoid (gnome), chaotic evil
Armor Class 16 (breastplate)
Hit Points 97 (15d6 + 45)
Speed 30 ft.
|8 (–1)||14 (+2)||16 (+3)||11 (+0)||12 (+1)||20 (+5)|
- Demon Wrangler. The knife cultist has an affinity with summoned demons. They obey it without question and are immune to being charmed. In addition, demons summoned by the cultist have advantage on saving throws against spells or effects that would send them to another plane (including their home plane).
- Innate Spellcasting. The gnomish knife cultist’s innate spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 16, +8 to hit with spell attacks). It can cast the following spells innately, requiring only verbal components:
- Multiattack. The gnomish knife cultist makes two attacks with its ritual knife.
- Ritual Knife. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 4 (1d4 + 2) slashing damage plus 7 (2d6) poison damage.
- Demonic Summonings (1/day). The gnomish knife cultist summons one demon of challenge rating 6 or two demons of challenge rating 4 or less. The summoned demons appear in unoccupied spaces within 50 feet of the cultist, acting immediately after the cultist in the initiative count. The demons are loyal to the cultist and follow its commands. They remain for 1 hour, until the cultist dies, or until the cultist dismisses them as a bonus action.
- Goad or Soothe (Recharge 5–6). As a bonus action, the gnomish knife cultist can goad or soothe one of its summoned demons within 50 feet. The affected demon has advantage on its next attack (if goaded) or heals 16 (3d10) hp (if soothed).
Creature Codex. © 2018 Open Design LLC; Authors Wolfgang Baur, Dan Dillon, Richard Green, James Haeck, Chris Harris, Jeremy Hochhalter, James Introcaso, Chris Lockey, Shawn Merwin, and Jon Sawatsky.