Medium humanoid (any race), any alignment
Armor Class 12 (15 with mage armor)
Hit Points 66 (12d8 + 12)
Speed 30 ft.
|11 (+0)||14 (+2)||12 (+1)||18 (+4)||14 (+2)||12 (+1)|
- Overchannel. As a bonus action, a battle mage can overchannel its spells until the start of its next turn. A creature has disadvantage on its saving throws against an overchanneled spell. Attack rolls against the battle mage have advantage until the start of its next turn.
- Tactical Casting. When a battle mage casts a spell that causes damage or that forces a creature to make a saving throw, it can choose itself and any number of allies to be immune to the damage caused by the spell and to automatically succeed on the required saving throw.
- Spellcasting. The battle mage is a 7th-level spellcaster. Its spellcasting ability is Intelligence (spell save DC 14, +6 to hit with spell attacks). The battle mage has the following wizard spells prepared:
- Shortsword. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 5 (1d6 + 2) piercing damage.
- Self-Defense Casting. When the battle mage is hit by a weapon attack, it can cast a cantrip against the attacker.
Battle mages are open vessels through which arcane energy pours raw, unfettered, and without regard for self-preservation. The art of the battle mage takes as much practice as any other type of spellcasting—perhaps more so. Many nations count battle mages among their ranks, with most establishing and maintaining an elite college or academy to properly train these living weapons. Just as much time goes into indoctrinating the battle mages into the patriotic beliefs as in the magic itself, for no group wants a powerful weapon turned against its creator.
Creature Codex. © 2018 Open Design LLC; Authors Wolfgang Baur, Dan Dillon, Richard Green, James Haeck, Chris Harris, Jeremy Hochhalter, James Introcaso, Chris Lockey, Shawn Merwin, and Jon Sawatsky.