The various scorpion cults train their believers in the arts of death. Few of their proselytes survive the initiation, but those who do emerge from their trials as assassins of unparalleled skill.
Medium humanoid (any race), neutral evil
Armor Class 17 (studded leather)
Hit Points 105 (14d8 + 42)
Speed 30 ft.
|12 (+1)||20 (+5)||16 (+3)||10 (+0)||18 (+4)||16 (+3)|
Saving Throws Dexterity +8, Wisdom +7
Skills Deception +6, Perception +7, Stealth +8
Damage Resistances cold, necrotic
Damage Immunities poison
Condition Immunities blinded, poisoned
Senses blindsight 10 ft., passive Perception 17
Languages any two languages
Challenge 8 (3,900 XP)
- Assassinate. During its first turn, the assassin has advantage on attack rolls against any creature that hasn’t taken a turn. Any hit the assassin scores against a surprised creature is a critical hit.
- Evasion. If the scorpion assassin is subjected to an effect that allows it to make a Dexterity saving throw to take only half damage, the assassin instead takes no damage if it succeeds on the saving throw, and only half damage if it fails.
- Sneak Attack (1/Turn). Once per turn, the scorpion assassin deals an extra 17 (5d6) damage when it hits a target with a weapon attack and has advantage on the attack roll, or when the target is within 5 feet of an ally of the assassin that isn’t incapacitated and the assassin doesn’t have disadvantage on the attack roll.
- Spellcasting. The assassin is a 5th-level spellcaster. Its spellcasting ability is Wisdom (spell save DC 15, +7 to hit with spell attacks). The assassin has the following cleric spells prepared.
- Multiattack. The scorpion assassin makes two scorpion stiletto attacks.
- Scorpion Stiletto. Melee Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d4 + 5) piercing damage, and the target must make a DC 14 Constitution saving throw. On a failure, the target takes 24 (7d6) poison damage and is poisoned for 1 minute. On a success, the target takes half the damage and isn’t poisoned.
- Uncanny Dodge. When an attacker the scorpion assassin can see hits it with an attack, it can choose to take half the damage instead.
Through the worship of their god, scorpion assassins cleanse their souls of emotion and their bodies of warmth. Countless rumors surround the death cult. It is said that a scorpion assassin’s heart does not beat and that they stand always on the precipice of life and death. Others say that the assassins are living, but their mortal souls have been excised, and their bodies become vessels for gods of death. Others still claim they were never alive and are celestial reapers sent to usher mortals to their final judgment.
Creature Codex. © 2018 Open Design LLC; Authors Wolfgang Baur, Dan Dillon, Richard Green, James Haeck, Chris Harris, Jeremy Hochhalter, James Introcaso, Chris Lockey, Shawn Merwin, and Jon Sawatsky.