It takes more than a quick blade to lead thieves. The thief lord makes use of considerable personal charm and a keen mind to direct the efforts of its fellows. Most thief lords prefer to keep one foot in law-abiding society and one foot in crime, though which world receives the greater part of their attention varies.
Medium humanoid (any race), lawful evil
Armor Class 17 (glamoured studded leather)
Hit Points 66 (12d8 + 12)
Speed 30 ft.
|10 (+0)||18 (+4)||12 (+1)||14 (+2)||14 (+2)||16 (+3)|
Saving Throws Dexterity +7, Intelligence +5
Skills Acrobatics +7, Deception +9, Investigation +5, Perception +5, Persuasion +6, Stealth +10
Damage Resistances poison
Senses passive Perception 15
Languages Thieves’ Cant plus any two languages
Challenge 8 (3,900 XP)
- Cunning Action. On each of its turns, the thief lord can use a bonus action to take the Dash, Disengage, or Hide action.
- Evasion. If the thief lord is subjected to an effect that allows it to make a Dexterity saving throw to take only half damage, the thief lord instead takes no damage if it succeeds on the saving throw, and only half damage if it fails.
- Sneak Attack (1/Turn). The thief lord deals an extra 14 (4d6) damage when it hits a target with a weapon attack and has advantage on the attack roll, or when the target is within 5 feet of an ally of the thief lord that isn’t incapacitated and the thief lord doesn’t have disadvantage on the attack roll.
- Multiattack. The thief lord makes two attacks with its rapier.
- Rapier. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 8 (1d8 + 4) piercing damage and the target must make a DC 15 Constitution saving throw, taking 24 (7d6) poison damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
- Hand Crossbow. Ranged Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, range 30/120 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d6 + 4) piercing damage.
- Protect Me! When a creature the thief lord can see targets it with an attack, the thief lord can sidestep behind an ally within 5 feet of it, moving to an unoccupied space within 5 feet of the ally. The chosen ally becomes the target of the attack instead.
Paranoid of assassination attempts by rivals, the thief lord takes minute doses of various poisons daily and has developed resistance to such substances.
Creature Codex. © 2018 Open Design LLC; Authors Wolfgang Baur, Dan Dillon, Richard Green, James Haeck, Chris Harris, Jeremy Hochhalter, James Introcaso, Chris Lockey, Shawn Merwin, and Jon Sawatsky.