5e SRD >Creatures >

Wako Matriarch

Family: Wako

Medium beast, neutral evil

Armor Class 15 (natural armor)
Hit Points 85 (10d12 + 20)
Speed 30 ft., burrow 30 ft.

STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
18 (+4) 10 (+0) 13 (+2) 10 (+0) 14 (+2) 8 (-1)

Skills Perception +5, Stealth +3
Senses darkvision 60 ft., tremorsense 30 ft., passive Perception 14
Languages
Challenge 5 (1800 XP)

SPECIAL TRAITS

  • Ao, Ao, Ao. Wakos use vocal calls to communicate and can relay exact location and even basic emotions within 60 feet (120 feet underground). When three or more wakos are present, all non-wakos take 7 (2d6) thunder damage each round at the beginning of their turn, or half as much on a successful DC 11 Constitution saving throw. Creatures failing their save are deafened for 1 minute, though they can attempt a new save each round to end this effect and once they save they cannot be deafened by wakos for 1 hour. if a wako matriarch is present the damage dealt by this ability increases to 10 (3d6) and the save DC is 13.
  • Contortionist. The wako’s oily coat and flexible skeleton allow them to fit through spaces as easily as a Small creature, and they can stand up from prone as a bonus action.
  • Pack Tactics. The wako has advantage attack rolls if at least one of its wako allies is within 5 feet of its target and isn’t incapacitated.
  • Senses. The wako has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on scent but has disadvantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight and hearing.
  • Tunneler. The wako can burrow through solid rock at half their standard burrow speed leaving a tunnel behind them equal to their size in diameter.

ACTIONS

  • Multiattack. The wako matriarch makes one bite attack and two claw attacks.
  • Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 11 (2d6 + 4) piercing damage.
  • Claws. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 9 (2d4 + 4) slashing damage.
  • Oil Slick. As an adult wako, but the save DC is 13.

LAIR ACTIONS

On initiative count 20 (losing initiative ties), the wako matriarch takes a lair action to cause one of the following effects; the wako matriarch can’t use the same effect two rounds in a row:

  • Crumbling Cave. Continual burrowing causes a part of the ceiling to collapse above one target that the creature can see within 30 feet of it. The target must succeed on a DC 13 Dexterity saving throw or take 10 (3d6) bludgeoning damage and be knocked prone and buried. The buried target is restrained (escape DC 10) and unable to breathe, see, hear, or stand up.
  • Rouse Pack. A wako matriarch a 50% chance to call upon additional members of the pack. She can call either 1 adult wako (25%) or 1d3 wako pups (25%) to protect the den. They will enter from the closest access point or burrow up to 60 ft. away to join the matriarch.

ABOUT

These slick-furred predators resemble a large-fanged capybara, with splay-fingered paws and a gaping mouth. Individually, they present little threat to even modestly skilled adventurers, but they lair in interconnecting burrows of small, low tunnels, disgorging in a squealing swarm when unfortunates disturb them. Their oily dark brown fur aids them in slithering through tight spaces. They have poor hearing and eyesight but an incredible sense of smell, digging in the dark like massive moles but always ready to pounce when prey is found. An adult wako stands 2 feet high and over 4 feet long, weighing 150 pounds.

Family Groups. Wakos are surprisingly protective of their young, often leaving their burrows to slay humanoid prey and drag the corpses back to feed their pups. Adult wakos will sacrifice their lives if their pups (which typically range from 15 to 30 pounds) are threatened in an effort to allow them to flee to safety. Each wako pack is led by an oversized female, typically rising to leadership due to greater size and strength. These leaders hone their communication with the pack with their chilling call of ao-ao-ao and can rouse them quickly in times of danger.

Wako Pup Oil

Alchemical item, common

If a wako pup is captured, a successful DC 13 Wisdom (Animal Handling) check allows a creature to calm the pup enough to expel oil from scent glands in its paws, the ridge of its spine, and under its limbs and chin sufficient to rub over one Medium or smaller creature. This oil renders the use invisible to wakos for 1 hour, though attacking breaks the invisibility effect.

Section 15: Copyright Notice

Latin American Monsters (5E) © 2021, Legendary Games; Authors Miguel Colon, Ismael Alvarez, Robert J. Grady, Jason Nelson.

This is not the complete section 15 entry - see the full license for this page