Medium monstrosity, neutral evil
Armor Class 15 (natural armor)
Hit Points 120 (16d10+32)
Speed 10 ft., swim 50 ft.
|17 (+3)||15 (+2)||14 (+2)||10 (+0)||13 (+1)||17 (+3)|
- Legendary Resistance (1/Day). If the adaro fails a saving throw, it can choose to succeed instead.
- Poison Use. Adaros favor a paralytic toxin secreted by the flying nettlefin pufferfish—a sticky venom that doesn’t wash away in water.
- Rain Frenzy. Adaros revere storms, and their lust for blood is amplified exponentially while it is raining. While fighting in the rain or during other stormy weather, adaros have advantage on Strength saving throws and saving throws against being frightened. In such conditions, at the start of its turn, the adaro can gain advantage on all melee weapon attack rolls during that turn, but attack rolls against it have advantage until the start of its next turn. An adaro gains this benefit even if it is underwater, but only as long as it remains within one turn away from the water’s surface (50 feet for most adaros).
- Speak with Sharks. An adaro can communicate telepathically with sharks to a distance of 100 feet. This communication is limited to simple concepts, such as “come,” “defend,” or “attack.”
- Multiattack. The adaro makes two spear attacks. It may substitute a bite for one spear attack.
- Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 5 (1d6 + 2) piercing damage.
- Spear. Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft. or range 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 5 (1d6 + 2) piercing damage, or 6 (1d8 + 2) piercing damage if used with two hands to make a melee attack, and the target must succeed on a DC 13 Constitution saving throw or be poisoned for 1 minute. The poisoned creature is paralyzed. The creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.
- Create Waterspout (1/Day). The adaro causes a swirling vortex of water to rise up out of any body of water it is currently in. The water rises beneath the adaro, lifting it up and providing it with a semistable platform of water. This waterspout allows the adaro to move above the surface of the water as thought it has a fly speed of 20 ft., and it can hover. As an action, the adaro can move through the spaces of hostile creatures during its turn, ending in an empty space. Any creature whose space the waterspout passes through, or that enters the area of the waterspout, must make a DC 13 Strength saving throw. On a failed saving throw, the target takes 7 (2d6) bludgeoning damage and is hurled 1d4 x 5 feet in a random direction into an empty space. The waterspout does not extend beneath the surface of the water. Once created, the waterspout lasts for 1 minute.
An adaro vortex-rider can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature’s turn. The adaro regains spent legendary actions at the start of its turn.
- Detect. The adaro makes a Wisdom (Perception) check.
- Spear Attack. The adaro attacks once with its spear.
- Move (Costs 2 actions). The adaro moves up to its speed without provoking opportunity attacks.
Pirate Campaign Compendium © 2018, Legendary Games; Lead Designer Jason Nelson. Authors: Alex Augunas, Jeff Gomez, Matt Goodall, Jim Groves, Tim Hitchcock, Victoria Jaczko, Jonathan H. Keith, Lyz Liddell, Thomas J. Phillips, Alistair J. Rigg, Alex Riggs, Loren Sieg, Neil Spicer, Todd Stewart, Rachel Ventura, Michael D. Welham, Linda Zayas-Palmer.