Hidden deep within its clockwork armor, the creature is a shapeless horror from beyond the stars.
Large aberration, neutral evil
Armor Class 14 (clockwork armor)
Hit Points 67 (9d10 + 18)
Speed 30 ft., fly 30 ft., swim 30 ft.
|17 (+3)||15 (+2)||14 (+2)||19 (+4)||13 (+1)||10 (+0)|
Skills Perception +3
Damage Immunities poison, psychic
Condition Immunities charmed, exhaustion, frightened, paralyzed, petrified, poisoned, prone
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 13
Languages Deep Speech, Void Speech
Challenge 3 (700 XP)
- Clockwork Encasement. The creature within the machine is a somewhat shapeless mass, both protected and given concrete manipulators by its armor. The clockwork armor has a variety of manipulators that the ahu-nixta can use to attack or to interact with objects outside of the armor. When the ahu-nixta is reduced to 0 hp, its clockwork armor breaks and the ahunixta exits it. Once out of its armor, the creature’s pulpy mass no longer receives the benefits of the listed Damage or Condition Immunities, except for psychic and prone. Without its clockwork armor, the ahu-nixta has the following statistics: AC 12, hp 37 (5d10 + 10), Strength 9 (-1), and all its modes of travel are reduced to 20 feet. In addition, it has no attack actions, though it can still cast its spells. The ahu-nixta’s body can form eyes, mouths, and grabbing appendages. Its grabbing appendages can pick up objects and manipulate them, but the appendages can’t be used for combat. The ahu-nixta’s extra appendages can open and close glass-covered viewing ports in the clockwork armor, requiring no action, so it can see and interact with objects outside the armor. The ahu-nixta can exit or enter its clockwork armor as a bonus action.
- Immutable Form. The clockwork armor of the ahu-nixta is immune to any spell or effect that would alter its form, as is the creature that controls it as long as the ahu-nixta remains within the armor.
- Innate Spellcasting. The ahu-nixta’s innate spellcasting ability is Intelligence (spell save DC 14, +6 to hit with spell attacks). The ahu-nixta can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:
- Multiattack. The ahu-nixta makes three melee attacks. It can cast one at will spell in place of two melee attacks.
- Whirring Blades. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 8 (2d4 + 3) slashing damage.
- Pronged Scepter. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d6+ 3) piercing damage.
- Bashing Rod. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 8 (1d10 + 3) bludgeoning damage.
Clockwork Armor. Weak and easy prey in their natural state, the ahu-nixta long ago mastered the art of clockwork design, building armor that could carry them through the voids between stars and bolster their physical abilities.
Always Murmuring Praise. The ahu-nixta constantly murmur praise of dark gods, though this sound is somewhat muffled by their armored shell. In large groups, their voices always offer the same praise, like a dark chorus.
Creature Codex. © 2018 Open Design LLC; Authors Wolfgang Baur, Dan Dillon, Richard Green, James Haeck, Chris Harris, Jeremy Hochhalter, James Introcaso, Chris Lockey, Shawn Merwin, and Jon Sawatsky.