A robed figure sits in a pool of deep shadows. The shrouded individual’s strained, immobile face and listless hands look abnormal and corpse-like. An unmistakable morbid odor permeates the area, and the air vibrates with a hideous, repressed buzzing. The figure speaks in a hoarse whisper, though his mustache-screened lips remain curiously motionless.
Medium aberration, neutral evil
Armor Class 17 (natural armor)
Hit Points 142 (15d8 + 75)
Speed 30 ft.
|15 (+2)||19 (+4)||21 (+5)||25 (+7)||18 (+4)||16 (+3)|
Saving Throws Constitution +10, Wisdom +9, Charisma +8
Skills Arcana +17, Deception +13, Medicine +9, Perception +9, Stealth +9
Damage Resistances cold, fire, lightning; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical attacks not made with silver
Damage Immunities psychic, poison
Condition Immunities frightened, charmed, poisoned
Senses truesight 120 ft., passive Perception 19
Languages all, telepathy 60 ft.
Challenge 15 (13,000 XP)
- Disquieting Technology. The whisperer is a highly advanced being that often carries pieces of powerful mi-go technology. Mi-go technology can be represented using the same rules as magic items, but the functions are very difficult to determine. The identify spell can’t determine the function of a mi-go item, but an hour of study and a successful DC 19 Intelligence (Arcana) check can reveal its purpose and proper function. Typical items are wands of fireballs shaped like staves with peculiar triggers, eyes of the eagle shaped as a pair of cylinders, or a helm of telepathy in the form of a glowing metal disc adhered to the side of the creature’s head.
- Magic Resistance. The whisperer has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.
- Innate Spellcasting. The whisperer’s innate spellcasting ability is Intelligence (spell save DC 20). The whisperer can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:
- Void Traveler. The whisperer in darkness doesn’t require air, food, drink, or ambient pressure.
- Multiattack. The whisperer in the darkness makes two Grasp of the Void attacks.
- Grasp of the Void. Melee Spell Attack: +12 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 21 (6d6) force damage, and the target must succeed on a DC 18 Constitution saving throw or be stunned for 1 minute. The target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.
Void Regent. Sorcerer, emissary, changeling, outsider…the alien entity known as the whisperer in darkness is all of these things and more. This abhorrent master of disguise implements clever and damnable constructions to covertly walk among men. Its naked form is a twisted contortion of grotesque, inhuman features that would surely drive an unsuspecting onlooker mad. The whisperer’s artificial face and limbs are the waxen products of an expert artist, but they do little to mask the disturbing timbre of its voice.
Tenebrous Physician. The whisperer is a being of prodigious surgical, biological, chemical, and mechanical skill who consorts with nameless things from abysmal space. Among these entities are the vaguely insect-like mi-go, who colonize entire worlds in the name of malevolent gods.
Mask of Nyarlathotep. The whisperer in darkness is one of the many avatars of the Crawling Chaos. This incarnation of the Faceless God is a cosmic abnormality who serves as a manipulative liaison between the mi-go and the native races of the planets they invade.
Creature Codex. © 2018 Open Design LLC; Authors Wolfgang Baur, Dan Dillon, Richard Green, James Haeck, Chris Harris, Jeremy Hochhalter, James Introcaso, Chris Lockey, Shawn Merwin, and Jon Sawatsky.