From the fog, a monstrous form emerges. Its initial resemblance to an upright toad is quickly dispelled, as it reaches out with masses of long, writhing tentacles. Six eyes glow balefully above its massive fissure of a mouth.
Huge aberration, neutral
Armor Class 12 (natural armor)
Hit Points 47 (5d12 + 15)
Speed 30 ft., swim 40 ft.
|15 (+2)||11 (+0)||17 (+3)||8 (-1)||14 (+2)||7 (-2)|
- Amphibious. The yann-an-oed can breathe air and water.
- Underwater Camouflage. The yann-an-oed has advantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks made while underwater.
- Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 11 (2d8 + 2) piercing damage.
- Tentacles. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 15 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (2d4 + 2) bludgeoning damage. If the target is a Large or smaller creature, it is grappled (escape DC 12). Until this grapple ends, the target is restrained. The yann-an-oed can have only two targets grappled at a time.
- Swallow. The yann-an-oed makes a bite attack against a Large or smaller creature it is grappling. If the attack hits, the target is also swallowed, and the grapple ends. While swallowed, the target is blinded and restrained, it has total cover against attacks and other effects outside the yann-an-oed, and it takes 7 (2d6) acid damage at the start of each of the yann-an-oed’s turns. A yannan- oed can have only one creature swallowed at a time. If the yann-an-oed takes 10 damage or more on a single turn from the swallowed creature, the yann-an-oed must succeed on a DC 11 Constitution saving throw at the end of that turn or regurgitate the creature, which falls prone in a space within 10 feet of the yann-an-oed. If the yann-an-oed dies, a swallowed creature is no longer restrained by it and can escape from the corpse by using 10 feet of movement, exiting prone.
- Hoot (Recharges after a Short or Long Rest). The yann-an-oed emits an owl-like hoot from a blowhole near the top of its head. Each creature within 120 feet that is able to hear the sound must succeed on a DC 12 Wisdom saving throw or return the hooting sound, if it can make noise. The yann-an-oed is able to unerringly track a creature that responds to its call for 1 hour, even if the creature is hidden by magic or on another plane of existence.
Shaped like a bipedal frog or toad, its arms are stumps that end in a mass of long, writhing tentacles.Three yellow eyes adorn either side of the yann-an-oed’s head, and its mouth is a massive fissure.
Dimensional Drifters. Found in oceans across multiple dimensions, many believe the spores of the yann-an-oed drift through the spaces between realities until they find a world that has adequate water and prey.
Creature Codex. © 2018 Open Design LLC; Authors Wolfgang Baur, Dan Dillon, Richard Green, James Haeck, Chris Harris, Jeremy Hochhalter, James Introcaso, Chris Lockey, Shawn Merwin, and Jon Sawatsky.