A large black bull rips up the earth in great heaps. White wings spread wide from his shoulders, and a burning sun disc floats between his white horns.
Huge celestial, chaotic good
Armor Class 18 (natural armor)
Hit Points 253 (22d12 + 110)
Speed 60 ft., fly 80 ft.
|24 (+7)||16 (+3)||20 (+5)||10 (+0)||20 (+5)||18 (+4)|
Saving Throws Dexterity +10, Constitution +12, Wisdom +12
Skills Athletics +14, Insight +12, Intimidation +11
Damage Resistances necrotic
Damage Immunities fire, radiant; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical attacks
Condition Immunities charmed, exhaustion, frightened
Senses truesight 60 ft., passive Perception 15
Languages understands all but can’t speak, telepathy 120 ft.
Challenge 21 (33,000 XP)
- Flyby. Gugalanna doesn’t provoke an opportunity attack when it flies out of an enemy’s reach.
- Magic Resistance. Gugalanna has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.
- Magic Weapons. Gugalanna’s weapon attacks are magical.
- Trampling Charge. If Gugalanna moves at least 20 feet straight toward a creature and then hits it with a horns attack on the same turn, that target must succeed on a DC 22 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone. If the target is prone, Gugalanna can make one kick attack against it as a bonus action.
- Multiattack. Gugalanna makes two attacks: one with its horns and one with its kick.
- Horns. Melee Weapon Attack: +14 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 34 (5d10 + 7) piercing damage and 14 (4d6) fire damage.
- Kick. Melee Weapon Attack: +14 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 18 (2d10 + 7) bludgeoning damage.
Gugalanna can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature’s turn. Gugalanna regains spent legendary actions at the start of his turn.
- Kick. Gugalanna makes a kick attack.
- Rearing Stomp (Costs 2 Actions). Gugalanna spreads his wings and stomps his hooves, shaking the earth. Each creature within 10 feet of Gugalanna must make a DC 22 Strength saving throw. On a failure, a target takes 18 (2d10 + 7) bludgeoning damage and is pushed 20 feet away from Gugalanna. On a success, a target takes half the damage and isn’t pushed. Gugalanna can then fly up to half his flying speed.
- Blazing Sun Disc (Costs 2 Actions, Recharge 5–6). The sun disc floating between Gugalanna’s horns flares. Each creature within 30 feet of Gugalanna must make a DC 18 Dexterity saving throw, taking 21 (6d6) fire damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
Gugalanna is an instrument of Heaven, sent to trample enemies into dust. The sun disc between his horns makes clear his authority.
Wrath of the Divine. Gugalanna often arrives in times of war, torture, slavery, or oppression in answer to prayers by the poor or the plague-ridden. While rare, these forms of divine intercession occur often enough that evil-doers are familiar with some of its ways and portents. Shining clouds are said to foretell Gugalanna’s arrival, as are flowers blooming in midwinter or on the altars of dark gods.
Hatred of Blood Magic. The biggest source of evil that brings Gugalanna’s attention is the use of blood magic. The use of this form of magic invariably involves blood sacrifices, ritual murder, and other horrors. Gugalanna shakes down the pillars of temples devoted to such activities.
Creature Codex. © 2018 Open Design LLC; Authors Wolfgang Baur, Dan Dillon, Richard Green, James Haeck, Chris Harris, Jeremy Hochhalter, James Introcaso, Chris Lockey, Shawn Merwin, and Jon Sawatsky.