Medium construct (undead), lawful evil
Armor Class 15 (natural armor)
Hit Points 135 (18d8 + 54)
Speed 30 ft.
|14 (+2)||12 (+1)||17 (+3)||12 (+1)||14 (+2)||15 (+2)|
Saving Throws Str +8
Damage Resistances acid, cold, fire, lightning
Damage Immunities necrotic, poison
Condition Immunities charmed, exhaustion, poisoned
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 12
Languages any languages it knew in life
Challenge 5 (1,800 XP)
- Expelled Spirit. While the body the fellforged inhabits was made to bind spirits, the foul presence of the wraith within is vulnerable to turning attempts. Any successful turn attempt exorcises the wraith from its clockwork frame, but has no other effect. The expelled wraith retains its current hp total.
- Sunlight Sensitivity. While in sunlight, the fellforged has disadvantage on attack rolls, as well as on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight.
- Unnatural Aura. All animals, whether wild or domesticated, can sense the unnatural presence of fellforged at a distance of 30 feet. They do not willingly approach nearer than that and panic if forced to do so, and they remain panicked as long as they are within that range.
- Multiattack. The fellforged makes two necrotic slam attacks.
- Necrotic Slam. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 11 (2d8 + 2) bludgeoning damage plus 4 (1d8) necrotic damage, and the target must succeed on a DC 14 Constitution saving throw or its hit point maximum is reduced by an amount equal to the total damage taken. This reduction lasts until the target finishes a long rest. The target dies if this effect reduces its hit point maximum to 0.
- Violent Escapement. With little regard for the clockwork bodies they inhabit, fellforged wraiths can stress and strain their mechanisms in such a violent manner that flywheels become unbalanced, gears shatter, and springs snap. As a bonus action, this violent burst of gears and pulleys deals 7 (2d6) piercing damage to all foes within 5 feet who fail a DC 14 Dexterity saving throw. Each use of this ability imposes a cumulative reduction in movement of 5 feet upon the fellforged. If its speed is reduced to 0 feet, the fellforged becomes paralyzed.
A darkly foreboding intelligence glows behind this automaton’s eyes, and its joints seep hissing green vapors.
Wraith Constructs. Fellforged are the castoffs of gearforged and clockworks production, given foul sentience when the construct bodies attract wraiths yearning to feel the corporeal world. The clockwork bodies trap the wraiths, which dulls many of their supernatural abilities but gives them physical form. The wraiths twist the bodies to their own use-going so far as to destroy the body to harm the living.
Soldiers for Vampires. Fellforged commonly seek out greater undead as their masters. Vampires and liches are favorite leaders, but banshees and darakhul also make suitable commanders.
Grave Speech. The voice of the fellforged is echoing and sepulchral, a tomb voice that frightens animals and children.
Tome of Beasts. Copyright 2016, Open Design; Authors Chris Harris, Dan Dillon, Rodrigo Garcia Carmona, and Wolfgang Baur.