A blindfolded, stone face leers down from beneath a hooded cloak stitched from thousands of desiccated treasure maps. With each step the four-armed, stone figure takes, torches sputter, compasses spin, and ink fades.
Large construct, unaligned
Armor Class 13 (natural armor)
Hit Points 127 (15d10 + 45)
Speed 30 ft.
|20 (+5)||9 (–1)||16 (+3)||6 (–2)||18 (+4)||1 (–5)|
Skills Perception +7
Damage Resistances bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical attacks
Damage Immunities poison
Condition Immunities charmed, exhaustion, frightened, paralyzed, petrified, poisoned
Senses truesight 60 ft., passive Perception 17
Languages understands the languages of its creator but can’t speak
Challenge 7 (2,900 XP)
- Construct Nature. A sentinel in darkness doesn’t require air, food, drink, or sleep.
- Scourge of the Seekers. The sentinel has advantage on attack rolls against creatures with darkvision, blindsight, or truesight.
- Vault Keeper. Secret doors and illusory walls within 1,500 feet of the sentinel have the DC to detect their presence increased by 5.
- Multiattack. The sentinel makes two stone fist attacks. If both attacks hit a Large or smaller creature, the target must succeed on a DC 15 Wisdom saving throw or lose one non-weapon, non-armor object that is small enough to fit in one hand. The object is teleported to a random unoccupied space within 200 feet of the sentinel. The target feels a mental tug in the general direction of the item until it is recovered.
- Stone Fist. Melee Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 18 (2d12 + 5) bludgeoning damage.
- Curse of the Wanderer (Recharge 6). One creature the sentinel can see within 30 feet of it must succeed on a DC 15 Wisdom saving throw or suffer the Curse of the Wanderer. While cursed, the creature’s speed is halved and it can’t regain hp. For every 24 hours it goes without discovering or learning new information, it takes 10 (3d6) psychic damage. The curse lasts until it is lifted by a remove curse spell or similar magic.
Protector of Secrets. Sentinels in darkness are magical constructs tasked with guarding secret vaults and reliquaries. These creatures ward off plunderers with their imposing form, brute strength, and magical nature that obscures secrets. It is said when a sentinel is slain, its cloak of maps burns away, leaving behind one map to a great, secret treasure.
Magical Theft. Sentinels in darkness can magic away a coveted item, while cursing explorers with an unquenchable desire to find secrets—even at the cost of the explorer’s own health.
Awakening the Sentinel. To animate a sentinel in darkness, the creator must imbue an inert stone golem with the spirit of a mortal that died having taken at least one terrible secret to the grave.
Creature Codex. © 2018 Open Design LLC; Authors Wolfgang Baur, Dan Dillon, Richard Green, James Haeck, Chris Harris, Jeremy Hochhalter, James Introcaso, Chris Lockey, Shawn Merwin, and Jon Sawatsky.