A humanoid figure teeters, clutching both ends of a curious scroll. The curled eldritch parchment is marked with strange, alien glyphs on one side that pulsate with an arcane glow, illuminating the figure’s twisted face. Tendrils of opalescent light snake out from the surface of the bizarre scroll as the ensorcelled figure staggers forward.
Tiny construct, unaligned
Armor Class 10
Hit Points 27 (6d4 + 12)
Speed 0 ft., fly 10 ft.
|1 (-5)||10 (+0)||15 (+2)||16 (+3)||10 (+0)||8 (-1)|
Saving Throws Wisdom +2
Skills Deception +5
Damage Vulnerabilities fire
Damage Resistances cold; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage from nonmagical attacks
Damage Immunities poison, psychic
Condition Immunities blinded, charmed, deafened, frightened, paralyzed, petrified, poisoned
Senses blindsight 60 ft. (blind beyond this radius), passive perception 10
Languages all, telepathy 120 ft.
Challenge 1/2 (100 XP)
- Antimagic Susceptibility. The weirding scroll is incapacitated while in the area of an antimagic field. If targeted by dispel magic, the weirding scroll must succeed on a Constitution saving throw against the caster’s spell save DC or fall unconscious for 1 minute.
- Construct Nature. A weirding scroll doesn’t require air, food, drink, or sleep.
- False Appearance. While the weirding scroll remains motionless, it is indistinguishable from a normal scroll.
- Dominate. A weirding scroll beguiles one humanoid that it can see within 30 feet. The target must succeed on a DC 13 Wisdom saving throw or be charmed for 1 hour. The charmed creature obeys the telepathic commands of the weirding scroll to the best of its ability. This action works like the dominate person spell, except the weirding scroll doesn’t need to concentrate to maintain the domination, and it can’t take total and precise control of the target. The weirding scroll can have only one humanoid under its control at one time. If it dominates another, the effect on the previous target ends.
- Tendril of Light. Melee Spell Attack: +5 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 3 (1d6) psychic damage plus 3 (1d6) radiant damage.
Arcane Guardians. A weirding scroll is a grim construct crafted from a length of magically-treated humanoid skin. This morbid parchment is prepared by a master surgeon before undergoing certain profane and secret rites that imbue the scroll with formidable mind-warping abilities. This surreptitious construct lies in wait for a living creature to come along and serve as an unwilling surrogate for its creator’s commands.
Nimbused Puppeteers. The mobility of this odd artifice is limited. When a weirding scroll isn’t flitting on the wind in a form of mock lifelessness, it employs a powerful domination, which manifests as an eerie tangle of light that entwines its victim.
Athenaeum Wardens. The first weirding scrolls were constructed to help protect the massive libraries of an ancient race of sorcerer kings. Since then, the riddle of their creation has fallen into the hands of only the most studious of artificers.
Creature Codex. © 2018 Open Design LLC; Authors Wolfgang Baur, Dan Dillon, Richard Green, James Haeck, Chris Harris, Jeremy Hochhalter, James Introcaso, Chris Lockey, Shawn Merwin, and Jon Sawatsky.