Tiny construct, neutral
Armor Class: 18
Hit Points 7 (3d4)
Speed: 20 ft.
|6 (-2)||18 (+4)||10 (0)||4 (-3)||10 (0)||7 (-2)|
Skills: Perception +2
Senses: darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 12
Damage Resistances: bludgeoning, piercing from nonmagical weapons
Damage Immunities: necrotic, poison
Condition Immunities: charmed, poisoned, sleeping, incapacitated
Languages: Understands its creator’s language but cannot speak
Challenge: 1/2 (100 XP)
- Find Target: When ordered to find its chosen target, a poppet does so unerringly, as though guided by a locate creature spell which is unaffected by distance, polymorph, running water, or any other form of barrier or spell confusion.
- Self-Repair: Given enough time, and access to enough cloth, a poppet can repair itself by tearing off strips of cloth and adding them to its own body, allowing it to spend hit dice to recover damage during a short rest just as a player character could. In addition, the wizard’s poppet recovers from a long rest just as a player character could. Finally, as a bonus action, the poppet can regain 1d4 hit points by shifting around its own body structure. It can do this 3/long rest times.
- Telepathic Link: So long as the poppet is on the same plane of existence as its master, it can communicate telepathically with its master.
- Assassinate (Recharge 6). Melee Weapon Attack: strike with advantage, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: triple maximum damage.
- Tiny Blade: Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d4+4) slashing damage.
A wizard’s poppet is a tiny doll given the semblance of life. They are capable of serving as menial labor, but the true purpose of their creation is assassination. During creation, a sympathetic link is created between the poppet and another (often by including a strand of hair in the other’s body).
Upon command, the poppet hunts its destined prey through the use of this unique connection.
Constructing the Wizard’s Poppet
A wizard’s poppet is treated as a homunculus in most respects, including its creation. It costs 1,000 gp to create, including 10 gp for the body. Creating the body requires an intelligence check (DC 15). The ritual to animate the body requires a 7th level character. Completing the ritual requires the casting of discern location and true strike on the final day of the ritual. The creation process otherwise follows all the specifics outlined under the ‘Creating A Homunculus’ rules.
Familiars & Companions, Copyright 2017, Troll Lord Games; Author Casey Christofferson, Justin Bacon, Tommy Ruteledge, Josh Hubbel, Lance Hawvermile, Luke Johnson, Stephen Vogel and Dave Zenz.