Huge dragon, chaotic neutral
Armor Class 19 (natural armor)
Hit Points 231 (22d12 + 88)
Speed 40 ft., fly 80 ft.
|19 (+4)||20 (+5)||18 (+4)||18 (+4)||20 (+5)||16 (+3)|
Saving Throws Dexterity +12, Constitution +11, Wisdom +12
Skills Perception +12, Stealth +12
Condition Immunities charmed
Senses blindsight 60 ft., darkvision 90 ft., passive Perception 22
Languages Draconic, Sylvan
Challenge 21 (33,000 XP)
- Innate Spellcasting. The purple dragon’s innate spellcasting ability is Wisdom (spell save DC 21). The purple dragon can innately cast the following spells, requiring no components.
- Legendary Resistance (3/day). If the purple dragon fails a saving throw, it can choose to succeed instead.
- Magic Weapons. The purple dragon’s attacks are magical.
- Shadow Stealth. While in dim light or darkness, the purple dragon can take the Hide action as a bonus action.
- Multiattack. The purple dragon makes three attacks: two with its claws and one with its bite.
- Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +15 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 15 (2d10 + 4) piercing damage.
- Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +15 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 11 (2d6 + 4) slashing damage.
- Dragon Shout (Recharge 5-6). The purple dragon lets out a draconic shout in a 90-ft. cone. Each creature in that area must make a successful DC 21 Constitution save or take 67 (15d8) force damage and be knocked prone. Or half as much damage on a successful one.
- Detect. The purple dragon makes a Wisdom (Perception) check.
- Dragon Shout (costs 3 actions). Uses its shout attack.
- Tail. Melee Weapon Attack: +15 to hit, reach 15 ft., one target. Hit: 13 (2d8 + 4) bludgeoning damage.
The purple dragon is a cunning, scheming dragon with many tricks up its sleeve. This monster casts spells, bellows a draconic shout, and can also attack with its jaws and claws. It delights in making complicated pacts with newcomers to Feyland.
Magical Menace. This monster is one of the few dragons that can use magic.
Purple dragons often like to toy with their prey, using their subtle spells before moving in for the kill.
Dragon Shout. The magical shout of a purple dragon can be heard for a great distance. Trees bend and the shout usually knocks over any creatures in its path.
Stealthy Surprise. For a creature its size, the purple dragon is surprisingly stealthy and has been known to emerge out of the shadows in the darkest parts of the woods.
Monsters of Feyland A Collection Of Monsters For 5th Edition © 2018 Cawood Publishing, Author Andrew Cawood