Hidden in the stalactites near the ceiling of a web-filled cave, a skulking half dragon, half arachnid waits to ensnare its prey.
Large dragon, lawful evil
Armor Class 18 (natural armor)
Hit Points 136 (16d10 + 48)
Speed 40 ft., fly 80 ft., climb 40 ft.
|19 (+4)||13 (+1)||17 (+3)||7 (-2)||16 (+3)||15 (+2)|
Saving Throws Dexterity +5, Constitution +7, Wisdom +7, Charisma +6
Skills Perception +7, Stealth +5, Survival +7
Damage Immunities poison
Condition Immunities poisoned
Senses blindsight 30 ft., darkvision 120 ft., passive Perception 17
Languages Common, Draconic
Challenge 9 (5,000 XP)
- Sticky Secretions. When the spider drake is hit with a melee attack, the attacker’s weapon becomes stuck to the web fluid secreted from its scales. If the attacker didn’t use a weapon, it must succeed on a DC 16 Strength saving throw or become restrained in the webbing. As an action, a creature can make a DC 16 Strength check, escaping or freeing its weapon from the secretions on a success.
- Multiattack. The spider drake makes three attacks: one with its bite and two with its claws. It can use Web in place of its bite attack.
- Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 15 (2d10 + 4) piercing damage plus 7 (2d6) poison damage.
- Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 11 (2d6 + 4) slashing damage.
- Poison Breath (Recharge 5–6). The drake exhales poisonous gas in a 30-foot cone. Each creature in that area must make a DC 15 Constitution saving throw. On a failure, a creature takes 42 (12d6) poison damage and is poisoned. On a success, a creature Drake, Spider takes half the damage and isn’t poisoned. A creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.
- Web (Recharge 5–6). Ranged Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, range 60/120 ft., one Large or smaller creature. Hit: The creature is restrained by webbing. As an action, the restrained creature can make a DC 16 Strength check, escaping from the webbing on a success. The effect also ends if the webbing is destroyed. The webbing has AC 10, 5 hit points, vulnerability to fire damage, and immunity to bludgeoning, poison, and psychic damage.
Savage Hunters. Spider drakes are more primal than their true dragon cousins, following an instinctual desire to hunt and trap prey.
Beautiful Treasures. Like its kin, the spider drake collects a hoard. Instead of displaying the hoard openly, the spider drake wraps its prizes in silk, encasing the valuables and the body of the hunted creature together. Opening the treasures of the lair often reveals the spider drake’s most recent kills.
Creature Codex. © 2018 Open Design LLC; Authors Wolfgang Baur, Dan Dillon, Richard Green, James Haeck, Chris Harris, Jeremy Hochhalter, James Introcaso, Chris Lockey, Shawn Merwin, and Jon Sawatsky.