Small/Huge fey (shapechanger), chaotic neutral
Armor Class 15 (natural armor)
Hit Points 94 (9d12 + 36)
Speed 40 ft.
|21 (+5)||10 (+0)||18 (+4)||7 (-2)||14 (+2)||9 (-1)|
Damage Resistances bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical weapons
Senses impaired sight 30 ft., passive Perception 12
Challenge 5 (1,800 XP)
- Calm State. When a hulking whelp is calm and unafraid, it uses the following statistics instead of those listed above: Size Small; HP 9 (6d6 – 12); Speed 20 ft.; STR 8 (-1); CON 6 (-2); Languages Common, Sylvan
- Poor Senses. A hulking whelp has poor hearing and is nearsighted. It can see in normal or dim light up to 30 feet and hear sounds from up to 60 feet away.
- Unleashed Emotion. When a hulking whelp feels threatened- it’s touched, intimidated, cornered, attacked, or even just if a stranger moves adjacent to the whelp-it immediately grows from size Small to Huge as a reaction. If the whelp was attacked, this reaction occurs after the attack is made but before damage is done. Nearby creatures and objects are pushed to the nearest available space and must make a successful DC 15 Strength saving throw or fall prone. Weapons, armor, and other objects worn or carried by the hulking whelp grow (and shrink again) proportionally when it changes size. Overcome by raw emotion, it sets about destroying anything and everything it can see (which isn’t much) and reach (which is quite a lot). The transformation lasts until the hulking whelp is unaware of any nearby creatures for 1 round, it drops to 0 hit points, it has 5 levels of exhaustion, or it’s affected by a calm emotions spell or comparable magic. The transformation isn’t entirely uncontrollable; people or creatures the whelp knows and trusts can be near it without triggering the reaction. Under the wrong conditions, such as in a populated area, a hulking whelp’s Unleashed Emotion can last for days.
- Multiattack. The hulking whelp makes two slam attacks.
- Slam. Melee Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 15 ft., one target. Hit: 18 (3d8 + 5) bludgeoning damage.
- Quick Step. A hulking whelp can move 20 feet as a reaction when it is attacked. No opportunity attacks are triggered by this move.
This gray-skinned dog-like creature seems pathetically eager to please but fantastically skittish, its ears alerting at every nearby sound, and its large oval eyes following anything that passes by.
Emotional Giant. A hulking whelp is a tightly wound ball of emotion, extremely private and defensive of its personal space, and terrified of the world around it. When it feels its personal space violated, or its fragile concentration is broken, the small, quivery fey grows into a muscled beast of giant proportions.
Calm Friend. When its emotions are under control, a hulking whelp is friendly and even helpful, although this has more to do with its guilt over past actions and fear of what it might do if it feels threatened than a true desire to help others. In its calm form, a hulking whelp is just over three feet tall at the shoulder and weighs 50 lb. Unleashed, it is 20 feet tall and 4,000 lb.
Tome of Beasts. Copyright 2016, Open Design; Authors Chris Harris, Dan Dillon, Rodrigo Garcia Carmona, and Wolfgang Baur.