Medium fey, neutral evil
Armor Class 17 (natural armor)
Hit Points 112 (15d8 + 45)
Speed 30 ft., climb 30 ft.
|17 (+3)||19 (+4)||17 (+3)||18 (+4)||18 (+4)||19 (+4)|
- Freedom of Movement. A nichny ignores difficult terrain and cannot be entangled, grappled, or otherwise impeded in its movements as if it is under the effect of a constant freedom of movement spell. This ability is negated for grapple attempts if the attacker is wearing gold or orichalcum gauntlets or using a gold or orichalcum chain as part of its attack.
- Imbue Luck (1/Day). Nichny can enchant a small gem or stone to bring good luck. If the nichny gives this lucky stone to another creature, the bearer receives a +1 bonus to all saving throws for 24 hours.
- Innate Spellcasting. The nichny’s innate spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 15, +7 to hit with spell attacks). It can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:
- At Will: detect magic, invisibility, magic missile, ray of frost
- 3/day: blink, dimension door, haste, polymorph (self only)
- 1/day: teleport, word of recall
- Luck Aura. A nichny is surrounded by an aura of luck. All creatures it considers friends within 10 feet of the nichny gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls, saving throws, and ability checks. Creatures that it considers its enemies take a -1 penalty to attack rolls, saving throws, and ability checks. The nichny can activate or suppress this aura on its turn as a bonus action.
- Magic Resistance. The nichny has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.
- Soothsaying. Once per week, a nichny can answer up to three questions about the past, present, or future. All three questions must be asked before the nichny can give its answers, which are short and may be in the form of a paradox or riddle. One answer always is false, and the other two must be true.
- Multiattack. The nichny makes two claw attacks.
- Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 17 (2d12 + 4) slashing damage.
These ancient creatures resemble nothing so much as black cats dressed in sumptuous, if archaic, clothing.
Xenophobic. The nichny are highly xenophobic and gleefully carnivorous fey who dwell in deep, primeval forests.
True and False Prophets. They can dispense luck to those they like and they certainly have oracular powers, but they rarely share their prophecies with outsiders. Their prophecies are always delivered in triples, and legend holds that two inevitably prove true and one proves false.
Answer Three Questions. One final legend claims that if a nichny can be bound with gold or orichalcum chains, it must answer three questions. As with their prophecies, two answers will be true and one will be a lie. All three questions must be posed before any will be answered.
When the third answer is given, the nichny and the chains disappear.
Tome of Beasts. Copyright 2016, Open Design; Authors Chris Harris, Dan Dillon, Rodrigo Garcia Carmona, and Wolfgang Baur.