Large fey, chaotic evil
Armor Class 13
Hit Points 67 (9d10 + 18)
Speed 30 ft.
|19 (+4)||16 (+3)||15 (+2)||12 (+1)||18 (+4)||16 (+3)|
Skills Perception +7, Stealth +6
Damage Immunities necrotic, poison
Condition Immunities charmed, paralyzed, poisoned
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 17
Languages Sylvan, Abyssal, Elvish, telepathy 60 ft.
Challenge 5 (1,800 XP)
- Charge. If the black unicorn moves at least 20 feet straight toward a target and then hits it with a horn attack on the same turn, the target takes an extra 9 (2d8) piercing damage. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 15 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone.
- Innate Spellcasting. The black unicorn’s innate spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 15, +6 to hit with spell attacks). The black unicorn can innately cast the following spells, requiring no components.
- Magic Resistance. The black unicorn has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.
- Magic Weapons. The black unicorn’s weapon attacks are magical.
- Multiattack. The black unicorn makes two attacks: one with its hooves and one with its horn.
- Hooves. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 11 (2d6 + 4) bludgeoning damage.
- Horn. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 8 (1d8 + 4) piercing damage.
- Dark Touch (3/day). The black unicorn touches another creature with its horn. The target takes 11 (2d8 + 2) necrotic damage.
- Teleport (1/day). The black unicorn magically teleports itself and up to three willing creatures it can see within 5 feet of it, along with any equipment they are wearing or carrying, to a location the unicorn is familiar with, up to 1 mile away.
- Hooves attack. Makes one attack with its hooves.
- Dark Shroud (Costs 2 Actions). The black unicorn creates a shimmering, dark shroud around itself or another creature it can see within 60 ft. of it. The target gains a +2 bonus to AC until the end of the black unicorn’s next turn.
- Heal Self (Costs 3 Actions). Magically regains 11 (2d8 + 2) hit points.
The black unicorn is an example of how the dark fey are a twisted version of reality. This evil monster is the opposite of its celestial cousin. At home in enchanted forests, it stalks its prey. This fey’s dark form and high level of awareness help it hunt in the shadows.
Toxic Horns. The black unicorn’s white horn is a deadly tool of evil. Not only can the monster spear a victim, it does necrotic damage as well. Using dark magic, the black unicorn can also spray poison with the horn.
Evil Mounts. At times, powerful evil beings work along side these monsters. There are stories of anti-paladins, evil arch fey, hags, or even witches riding on these dark steeds.
Monsters of Feyland A Collection Of Monsters For 5th Edition © 2018 Cawood Publishing, Author Andrew Cawood