With a flaming blade in one hand and a net in the other, this feather-winged devil glares out with crimson eyes in search of a target to subjugate and capture.
Large fiend (devil), chaotic evil
Armor Class 15 (natural armor)
Hit Points 76 (8d10 + 32)
Speed 40 ft., fly 40 ft.
|20 (+5)||17 (+3)||18 (+4)||18 (+4)||17 (+3)||15 (+2)|
Saving Throws Strength +8, Dexterity +6, Charisma +5
Skills Athletics +8, Insight +6, Perception +6
Damage Resistances acid, cold, necrotic; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical weapons
Damage Immunities fire, poison
Condition Immunities charmed, paralyzed, poisoned, stunned
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 16
Languages Common, Infernal, telepathy 100 ft.
Challenge 6 (2,300 XP)
- Evil Presence. All devils and diaboli adjacent to the warmonger devil gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls, weapon damage rolls, and AC.
- Freedom of Movement. The warmonger devil ignores difficult terrain, and magical effects can’t reduce its speed or cause it to be restrained. It can spend 5 feet of movement to escape from nonmagical restraints or being grappled.
- Multiattack. The warmonger devil makes one net attack and two trident attacks.
- Flaming Longsword. Melee Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 9 (1d8 + 5) magical piercing damage plus 3 (1d6) fire damage. When the warmonger devil is attacking a creature restrained by an infernal net, it deals 9 (2d8) additional damage.
- Slam. Melee Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 8 (1d6 + 5) bludgeoning damage.
- Infernal Net. Ranged Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, range 5/15 ft., one target. A Huge or smaller creature hit by the infernal net is restrained until it is freed. A creature can use its action to make a DC 16 Strength check, freeing itself or another creature within its reach on a success. Dealing 10 slashing damage to the infernal net (AC 13) also frees the creature without harming it, ending the effect and destroying the infernal net.
Most of Hell’s legions are compelled to battle when called upon but not every soldier does as ordered and warmonger devils are responsible for enforcing morale in the weak of arm. Even without a phalanx of troops around them however the fiends are terrors in combat, capturing foes before mercilessly stabbing them to death.
They are sometimes mistaken for erinyes—one of their many tactics to better implement command through fear—though they never claim as such, fearful of reprisal from their deadlier counterparts.
When summoned by a mortal a warmonger devil is exacting and efficient, doing as they are bid to the very letter (which can be vexing indeed in the midst of battle).
Book of True Evil. © 2018 Mike Myler, published under license by Legendary Games.