Medium fiend (shapechanger), chaotic evil
Armor Class 15 (natural armor)
Hit Points 110 (17d8 + 34)
Speed 30 ft., fly 60 ft.
|10 (+0)||22 (+5)||15 (+2)||15 (+2)||12 (+1)||22 (+6)|
Skills Deception +12, Insight +7, Perception +7, Persuasion +12, Stealth +8
Damage Resistances cold, fire, lightning, poison; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical attacks
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 17
Languages Abyssal, Common, Elvish, Infernal, Umbral, telepathy 60 ft.
Challenge 7 (2,900 XP)
- Telepathic Bond. Maraya ignores the range restriction on her telepathy when communicating with a creature she has charmed, or one that has received her Profane Gift. The two don’t even need to be on the same plane of existence.
- Shapechanger. Maraya can use her action to polymorph into a Small or Medium humanoid, or back into her true form. Without wings, she loses her flying speed. Other than her size and speed, her statistics are the same in each form. Any equipment she is wearing or carrying isn’t transformed. Maraya reverts to her true form if she dies.
- Multiattack. Maraya makes two claw attacks.
- Claw (Fiend Form Only). Melee Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 8 (1d6 + 5) slashing damage plus 14 (4d6) psychic damage.
- Charm. One humanoid Maraya can see within 30 feet of her must succeed on a DC 17 Wisdom saving throw or be magically charmed for 1 day. The charmed target obeys Maraya’s verbal or telepathic commands. If the target suffers any harm or receives a suicidal command, it can repeat the saving throw, ending the effect on a success. If the target successfully saves against the effect, or if the effect on it ends, the target is immune to Maraya’s Charm for the next 24 hours. Maraya can have only one target charmed at a time. If she charms another, the effect on the previous target ends.
- Draining Kiss. Maraya kisses a creature charmed by her or a willing creature. The target must make a DC 17 Constitution saving throw against this magic, taking 32 (5d10 + 5) psychic damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. The target’s hit point maximum is reduced by an amount equal to the damage taken. This reduction lasts until the target finishes a long rest. The target dies if this effect reduces its hit point maximum to 0.
- Etherealness. Maraya magically enters the Ethereal Plane from the Material Plane, or vice versa.
- Profane Gift (1/day). Maraya grants a profane gift to a willing humanoid she touches. The target increases one ability score of its choice by 2, or two different ability scores by 1 each. A single creature can have no more than one profane gift at a time. A profane gift is removed by a dispel evil and good spell or more powerful magic. Maraya can remove one of her gifts as a bonus action, and doing so causes the target’s Charisma score to be reduced by 2d6 until it finishes a long rest. If this reduces the target’s Charisma to 0, the target falls unconscious until it regains at least 1 point of Charisma.
Courts of the Shadow Fey © 2019 Open Design LLC; Authors: Wolfgang Baur & Dan Dillon.