Gargantuan fiend (devil), lawful evil
Armor Class 24 (natural armor)
Hit Points 604 (31d20 + 279)
Speed 50 ft., fly 150 ft.
|30 (+10)||18 (+4)||28 (+9)||14 (+2)||20 (+5)||20 (+5)|
Saving Throws Strength +18, Dexterity +12, Wisdom +13, Charisma +13
Skills Acrobatics +12, Arcana +10, Insight +13, Intimidation +13, Religion +10
Damage Resistances acid, cold, lightning, necrotic, thunder; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical weapons that aren’t silvered
Damage Immunities fire, poison
Condition Immunities frightened, poisoned
Senses Darkvision 600 ft., passive Perception 15
Languages Celestial, Common, Draconic, Infernal; telepathy
Challenge 26 (90,000 XP)
- Colossal Creature. Kaiju are creatures far larger than the scale of others. Conventional weapons, even highly-enchanted ones, lack the mass to deal serious wounds to a kaiju. The same is true for all but the mightiest spells. When a creature of Huge size or smaller deals damage to a kaiju with a weapon or feature, or with a spell of 8th level or lower, it deals half damage, which can be reduced further by resistance or saving throws. Siege weapons and creatures with the Siege Monster trait are treated like Gargantuan creatures. Gargantuan creatures and 9th-level spells (including lower-level spells cast with 9th-level slots) deal normal damage, which can be reduced further by resistance or saving throws. Kaiju deal double damage to objects and structures. They ignore normal difficult terrain, and treat thick forests, settlements, or mountains as difficult rather than impassable terrain.
- Devil’s Sight. Magical darkness doesn’t impede Xel’unchesk’s darkvision.
- Innate Spellcasting. Xel’unchesk’s spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell attack +13, spell save DC 21). Xel’unchesk can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:
- Legendary Resistance (3/Day). If Xel’unchesk fails a saving throw, it can choose to succeed instead.
- Magic Resistance. Xel’Unchesk has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.
- Infernal Weapons. Xel’Unchesk’s attacks are magical. If a creature other than an undead or a construct takes damage from its bite, claws, or tail, it must succeed on a DC 23 Constitution saving throw or lose 22 (4d10) hit points at the start of its turn. Each time Xel’unchesk hits the wounded target with this attack, the damage dealt by the wound increases by 11 (2d10). Any creature can take an action to staunch the wound with a successful DC 20 Wisdom (Medicine) check. The wound closes if the target receives magical healing. The creature can make a new saving throw at the end of each of its turns. On a success, the bleeding effect ends.
- Summon Devil (1/Day). Xel’unchesk chooses what to summon and attempts a magical summoning. It summons 3d6 barbed devils or 1d4+1 horned devils. A summoned devil appears in an unoccupied space within 60 feet of Xel’unchesk, acts as an ally of Xel’unchesk, and can’t summon other devils. It remains for 1 minute, or until it or its summoner dies, or until its summoner dismisses it as an action.
- Multiattack. Xel’unchesk makes two claw attacks, a bite attack, and a tail attack.
- Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +18 to hit, reach 20 ft., one target. Hit: 31 (6d6 + 10) slashing damage, and see Infernal Weapons above.
- Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +18 to hit, reach 20 ft., one target. Hit: 37 (6d8 + 10) piercing damage, and see Infernal Weapons above.
- Tail. Melee Weapon Attack: +18 to hit, reach 30 ft., one target. Hit: 25 (6d4 + 10) slashing damage, and see Infernal Weapons above.
Xel’unchesk can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature’s turn. Xel’unchesk regains spent legendary actions at the start of its turn.
- Claw. Xel’unchesk makes a claw attack.
- Recover. Xel’unchesk regains 75 hit points. It cannot use this action if it has taken radiant damage since the end of its last turn. Once it uses this action, it cannot do so again until the end of its next turn.
- Whipping Tail (Costs 2 Actions). Xel’unchesk makes two tail attacks against a creature within reach. If both attacks deal damage, the creature must also succeed on a DC 21 Constitution saving throw or be stunned until the end of its next turn.
Xel’Unchesk is among the greatest powers of the Lower Planes; only Hell’s rulers can command his awful power.
He towers over the greatest of Hell’s legionnaires, and there is no living thing that his weapons cannot bring to ruin. Though he is a fiend, his form bears a resemblance to a bipedal green dragon.
Forbidden to Rule. For all his might, Xel’Unchesk can never come to rule in Hell, according to a prophecy spoken at the moment of his spawning. Because of his dreadful power, he fights every problem head-on, and would be ruinous to the intricate schemes of the devils.
Diabolic Siege Engine. The power required to deploy Xel’Unchesk on a battlefield is such that Hell’s generals use him against only the most impregnable fortified positions. Only rarely is he loosed in the Material Plane, as Hell typically prefers methods less likely to draw heavenly or demonic attention.
Kaiju Codex. © copyright 2015 Steven D. Russell; Authors Elaine Betts and Justin P. Sluder