Medium humanoid, neutral evil
This creature is easily the size and stock of a strong man or orc, corded with thick muscles that belie a nearly elven litheness. Sharp talons extend from its hands and feet and its ears dwarf the creature’s head in their impressive size. The resemblance to a bat is uncanny, made concrete by the massive leathery wings that sprout from its back. Mottled brown fur covers its skin and accentuate the tone of fitness apparent in the creature.
Armor Class 15 (natural armor)
Hit Points 112 (15d8 +45)
Speed 30 ft, fly 60 ft.
|18 (+4)||18 (+4)||16 (+3)||14 (+3)||16 (+3)||14 (+2)|
Damage Vulnerabilities radiant
Damage Immunities thunder
Damage Resistances cold
Senses blindsight 30 ft., darkvision 120 ft.
Languages Ahool, abyssal, telepathy
Challenge 5 (1,800 XP)
- Carry Off. A single ahool can carry away prey up to 50 lbs or a single rider under that weight. A group working in conjunction can carry an additional +50 lbs per participating ahool. A maximum of 4 ahool can try to carry off a single Medium or smaller creature.
- Flyby. The ahool doesn’t provoke an opportunity attack when it flies out of an enemy’s reach.
- Innate Spellcasting. The ahool’s innate spellcasting ability is Wisdom (spell save DC 13). It can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:
- 2/day: fog cloud
- Multiattack. An ahool makes one bite attack and two claw attacks. It may substitute a weapon attack for the bite attack, if it has a weapon.
- Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d6+4) piercing damage. The target’s hit point maximum is reduced by an amount equal to the piercing damage taken, and the ahool regains hit points equal to that amount. This reduction lasts until the target finishes a long rest. The target dies if this effect reduces its hit point maximum to 0.
- Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 11 (2d6+4) slashing damage. If the target is a Medium or smaller creature and is hit by both claws in a given round, it is grappled (escape DC 14). Until this grapple ends, the target is restrained and the ahool can’t bite another target. When the ahool moves, any target it is grappling moves with it.
- Disruptive Echo (Recharge 3—6). Ranged Spell Attack: +5 to hit, range 60 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (2d6) thunder damage.
Ahool are terrifying creatures that soar through the endless caverns of the underworld. They are primordial hunters that strike swiftly and without warning, carrying subdued prey away to a moss cavern for eating later.
The average ahool is 7 feet tall and weighs 300 pounds or so (despite its slender form and ability to fly).
Underworld Races and Classes © 2017 AAW Games LLC; Designers: Thilo Graf and Mike Myler