The thin, dark-haired commander wades into the throng of enemy soldiers. The leader’s troops come rushing in, inspired by the courageous example.
Medium humanoid (dhampir), any alignment
Armor Class 17 (studded leather, shield)
Hit Points 97 (13d8 + 39)
Speed 30 ft.
|14 (+2)||17 (+3)||16 (+3)||14 (+2)||12 (+1)||19 (+4)|
Saving Throws Strength +5, Dexterity +6, Wisdom +4, Charisma +7
Skills Athletics +5, Deception +7, Intimidation +7, Persuasion +7, Stealth +6
Damage Resistances necrotic
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 11
Challenge 7 (2,900 XP)
- Inspiring Savagery. Each ally within 30 feet of the dhampir that can see it can make one melee attack as a bonus action.
- Undead Resistance. The dhampir has advantage on saving throws against disease.
- Multiattack. The dhampir makes four rapier or four shortbow attacks. It can make a grapple attack or Dark Thirst attack in place of any attack.
- Rapier. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d8 + 3) piercing damage.
- Shortbow. Ranged Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, range 80/320 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d6 + 3) piercing damage.
- Dark Thirst. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature that is grappled by the dhampir, incapactitated, or restrained. Hit: 5 (1d4 + 3) piercing damage plus 7 (2d6) necrotic damage. The dhampir commander regains hp equal to the amount of necrotic damage dealt.
- Predatory Charm. The dhampir magically beguiles the mind of one humanoid it can see within 30 feet for 1 hour. The target Dhampir Commander must succeed on a DC 15 Charisma saving throw or the dhampir has advantage on Charisma checks against the target. If the dhampir or any of its allies damage the target, the effect ends. If the target’s saving throw is successful or the effect ends, the target is immune to this dhampir’s Predatory Charm for the next 24 hours. A creature immune to being charmed is immune to this effect. A dhampir can have only one target affected by its Predatory Charm at a time. If it uses its Predatory Charm on another target, the effect on the previous target ends.
- Leadership (Recharges after a Short or Long Rest). For 1 minute, the dhampir can utter a special command or warning whenever a nonhostile creature that it can see within 30 feet of it makes an attack roll or a saving throw. The creature can add a d4 to its roll provided it can hear and understand the dhampir. A creature can benefit from only one Leadership die at a time. This effect ends if the dhampir is incapacitated.
Dhampirs in military service fly up the ranks and use their natural charisma to inspire the soldiers beneath them to acts of heroism and violence.
Inspiring Leaders. Dhampir commanders lead by example on the battlefield, wading into combat and leading charges. A dhampir’s troops die for their leader and offer their own necks for feeding if the commander is injured. Good dhampirs rely on this loyalty to fight malevolent forces, while evil half-living commanders relish the power they have over soldiers, pushing them to acts of depravity.
Creature Codex. © 2018 Open Design LLC; Authors Wolfgang Baur, Dan Dillon, Richard Green, James Haeck, Chris Harris, Jeremy Hochhalter, James Introcaso, Chris Lockey, Shawn Merwin, and Jon Sawatsky.