A soft-bodied, iridescent creature floats by, tentacles rippling along its back as it quests for its next meal.
Medium monstrosity, unaligned
Armor Class 14
Hit Points 60 (8d8 + 24)
Speed 0 ft., fly 30 ft. (hover)
|10 (+0)||18 (+4)||16 (+3)||2 (–4)||10 (+0)||8 (–1)|
Skills Perception +2
Damage Resistances bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from magical weapons
Condition Immunities blinded, charmed, deafened, frightened, prone
Senses blindsight 60 ft. (blind beyond this radius), passive Perception 12
Challenge 4 (1,100 XP)
- Arcane Discharge. When an arcanaphage dies, it explodes in a surge of partially-digested magical energy. Each creature within 5 feet per Feed score must make a DC 14 Dexterity saving throw, taking 3 (1d6) force damage per Feed score on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. For 1 minute afterward, the affected area is awash with volatile magic. A creature that starts its turn in the affected area takes 7 (2d6) force damage.
- Hunger. Each time it feeds in combat, it regains hp equal to twice the level of the spell it ate and increases its Feed score by 1. The arcanaphage can’t have a Feed score higher than 8, and its Feed score reduces by 1 each time it finishes a long rest.
- Ingest Magic. At the start of each of the arcanaphage’s turns, each creature within 30 feet of it that is currently maintaining concentration on a spell must make a DC 14 Constitution saving throw. On a failure, the creature’s spell ends and the arcanaphage feeds.
- Magic Immunity. The arcanaphage is immune to damage from spells. It has advantage on saving throws against all other magical effects.
- Multiattack. The arcanaphage makes two tentacle attacks.
- Tentacle. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 13 (2d8 + 4) bludgeoning damage.
- Voracious. The arcanaphage’s tentacles glow when a spell is cast within 30 feet of it, countering the spell. This reaction works like the counterspell spell, except the arcanaphage must always make a spellcasting ability check, no matter the spell level. Its ability check for this is +5. If it successfully counters the spell, the arcanaphage feeds.
Arcanaphage are commonly found in places imbued with magic, their colorful skin rhythmically pulsating as they graze on arcane energies.
Magivore. The arcanaphage diet consists exclusively of magic. It has no mouth; it feeds by absorbing nearby magical energy into a series of ropy tentacles that run the length of its body. With enough time, an arcanaphage can slowly slurp all of the power out of magical objects, traps, or spells permanently imbuing an area. Most arcanaphage are about the size of a large dog, though especially well-fed specimens the size of draft horses have been reported.
Docile Unless Angered. If left to feed undisturbed, an arcanaphage typically ignores its surroundings. However, when it feels threatened or when food is scarce and it senses magic nearby, it viciously attacks.
Unwitting Guardians. Its ability to neutralize magic in its immediate area, combined with its calm demeanor, makes an arcanaphage an excellent guardian against a wizard’s ire. Some warlords even bring pet arcanaphage to battle as protection from spellcasters, although this is a gamble since the creatures like to sit on and absorb power from unattended magical objects, like a warlord’s heirloom weapon, and can release a torrent of magical energy when slain.
Creature Codex. © 2018 Open Design LLC; Authors Wolfgang Baur, Dan Dillon, Richard Green, James Haeck, Chris Harris, Jeremy Hochhalter, James Introcaso, Chris Lockey, Shawn Merwin, and Jon Sawatsky.