Native to the depths of the icy northern waters, Cclth, the Black One is a ferocious predator, rejected by its own kind for its tendency to prey upon them.
Immortal. Some deific or aberrant power gave Cclth, the Black One its strength and will to survive, perhaps as a punishment against its own kind for some failing. That power also rendered it immortal, surviving centuries of imprisonment and starvation without weakening.
Burial at Sea. When its people turned against it, they set an ambush that dropped hundreds of tons of stone on Cclth, the Black One’s body. Despite its titanic strength, it is pinned in place and can do little more than scrabble at the stone nearest its mouth and the ends of its appendages. On the other hand, it has nothing but time, so its eventual freedom is assured.
Gargantuan monstrosity, chaotic neutral
Armor Class 21 (natural armor)
Hit Points 402 (23d20 + 161)
Speed 40 ft., swim 160 ft.
|28 (+9)||16 (+3)||24 (+7)||7 (-2)||18 (+4)||5 (-3)|
Saving Throws Dexterity+9
Skills Athletics +15, Perception +10, Stealth +9
Damage Resistances acid, fire, lightning, necrotic, thunder
Damage Immunities cold, poison
Condition Immunities frightened, poisoned, prone
Senses darkvision 600 ft., passive Perception 20
Challenge 17 (18,000 XP)
- Lesser Kaiju. Lesser kaiju are larger than all but the greatest monsters adventurers face. Conventional weapons, even highly-enchanted ones, lack the mass to deal serious wounds to a kaiju. The same is true for all but the mightiest spells. When a creature of Large size or smaller deals damage to a lesser kaiju with a weapon or feature, or with a spell of 7th level or lower, its damage is halved, and can be reduced further by resistance or saving throws. Siege weapons and creatures with the Siege Monster trait are treated like Gargantuan creatures. Creatures of size Large and smaller can move through or occupy a kaiju’s space. Huge or larger creatures and 8th-level spells (including lower-level spells cast with 8th-level slots) deal normal damage, which can be reduced further by resistance or saving throws.
- Legendary Resistance (3/Day). If Cclth, the Black One fails a saving throw, it can choose to succeed instead.
- Amphibious. Cclth, the Black One can breathe both water and air.
- Overwhelming. Cclth, the Black One has advantage on Shove attacks.
- Cold Vigor. When Cclth, the Black One starts its turn in an area of extreme cold, it gains the effect of a haste spell that does not require Concentration. The effect lasts until the start of its next turn. When the haste ends, Cclth the Black One doesn’t lose its next turn.
- Rending Claws. If Cclth, the Black One hits a single creature with two claw attacks in the same turn, the creature suffers an additional 14 (4d6) slashing damage.
- Multiattack. Cclth, the Black One makes one bite attack and two claw attacks.
- Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +15 to hit, reach 15 ft., one target. Hit: 27 (4d8 + 9) piercing damage and 10 (3d6) cold damage.
- Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +15 to hit, reach 15 ft., one target. Hit: 23 (4d6 + 9) slashing damage.
- Freezing Black Bile (recharge 5-6). Cclth, the Black One exudes freezing black bile in either a line 300 ft. long and 5 ft. wide, or in a cone 150 ft. long. Creatures in the area must make a DC 19 Dexterity saving throw, suffering 42 (12d6) cold damage on a failure, or half as much damage on a success.
Cclth, the Black One can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature’s turn. Cclth, the Black One regains spent legendary actions at the start of its turn.
- Claw. Cclth, the Black One makes one claw attack.
- Recover. Cclth, the Black One regains 50 hit points. Once it uses this ability, it can’t do so again until the end of its next turn.
Kaiju Codex. © copyright 2015 Steven D. Russell; Authors Elaine Betts and Justin P. Sluder