A spider the size of a large house, with legs that could pass for trees, moves through the forest.
Gargantuan monstrosity, unaligned
Armor Class 16 (natural armor)
Hit Points 162 (12d20 + 36)
Speed 20 ft.
|18 (+4)||15 (+2)||16 (+3)||4 (–3)||13 (+1)||3 (–4)|
- Expansive. A creature at least one size smaller than the goliath longlegs can travel through and finish its turn in the goliath longlegs’ space.
- False Appearance. While a goliath longlegs remains motionless, it is indistinguishable from other plants or trees.
- Forest Camouflage. The goliath longlegs has advantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks made to hide in forested terrain.
- Vulnerable Legs. The goliath longlegs has eight legs. While it has more than four legs, the goliath longlegs is immune to being knocked prone or restrained. Whenever the goliath longlegs takes 20 or more damage in a single turn, one of its legs is destroyed. Each time a leg is destroyed after the fourth one, the goliath longlegs must succeed on a DC 13 Constitution saving throw or fall prone. Any creature in the goliath longlegs’ space or within 5 feet of it when it falls prone must make a DC 15 Dexterity saving throw, taking 21 (6d6) bludgeoning damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
- Multiattack. The goliath longlegs makes one bite attack and then as many leg attacks as it has legs. It can use its Reel in place of two leg attacks.
- Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 8 (1d8 + 4) piercing damage and the target must make a DC 15 Constitution saving throw, taking 9 (2d8) poison damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. If the poison damage reduces the target to 0 hp, the target is stable but poisoned for 1 hour, even after regaining hp, and is paralyzed while poisoned in this way.
- Leg. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 15 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d4 + 4) piercing damage.
- Paralytic Web (Recharge 5–6). Ranged Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, range 30/60 ft., one Large or smaller creature. Hit: The creature is restrained by webbing and must succeed on a DC 15 Constitution saving throw or be paralyzed for 1 minute. The creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the paralyzed effect on itself on a success. As an action, the restrained creature can make a DC 15 Strength check, escaping from the webbing on a success. The webbing can also be attacked and destroyed (AC 12; hp 15; vulnerability to fire damage; immunity to bludgeoning, poison, and psychic damage).
- Reel. The goliath longlegs pulls one creature caught in its web up to 30 feet straight toward it. If the target is within 10 feet of the goliath longlegs, the goliath longlegs can make one bite attack as a bonus action.
Solitary hunters, goliath longlegs sit motionless for long periods of time, waiting for unsuspecting prey to walk beneath them.
Stealthy Ambush Predators. The legs of a goliath longlegs mimic the size and texture of the trees of the forest in which it resides. It uses this natural camouflage to its advantage, hiding its body in the crowns of the nearby trees.
Venomous Weapons. The goliath longlegs’ legs are vulnerable to attack, so it prefers to poison its prey with a paralyzing nerve agent.
Unknown Origin. Not much is known about the origin of this species. They are few in number, and, when one is discovered, word rarely gets back to civilization.
Creature Codex. © 2018 Open Design LLC; Authors Wolfgang Baur, Dan Dillon, Richard Green, James Haeck, Chris Harris, Jeremy Hochhalter, James Introcaso, Chris Lockey, Shawn Merwin, and Jon Sawatsky.