The pile of color-changing ooze springs to life on the refuse heap behind an alchemical laboratory.
Small ooze, unaligned
Armor Class 11 (natural armor)
Hit Points 63 (14d6 + 14)
Speed 10 ft., climb 10 ft.
|13 (+1)||6 (-2)||13 (+1)||16 (+3)||6 (-2)||10 (+0)|
Skills Arcana +5
Damage Resistances acid, cold, fire, poison
Condition Immunities blinded, charmed, deafened, frightened, poisoned, prone
Senses blindsight 60 ft. (blind beyond this radius), passive Perception 8
Languages understands Common but can’t speak, telepathy 10 ft.
Challenge 1 (200 XP)
- Amorphous. The ooze can move through a space as narrow as 1 inch wide without squeezing.
- Absorb Potion. The ooze can absorb any potion, oil, tincture, or alchemical draught that touches it, choosing to be affected by the substance or to nullify it.
- Ooze Nature. An alchemical apprentice ooze doesn’t require sleep.
- Perishable. These oozes don’t fare well in sunlight and don’t easily endure the rigors of travel. The creature dies if it is directly exposed to sunlight for more than 1 minute. Each day it is more than 1 mile from its “birth” place, the ooze must succeed on a DC 12 Constitution saving throw or die.
- Produce Potion (1/day). The alchemical apprentice can produce one common potion, oil, tincture, or alchemical draught each day. If no creature is there to bottle, or otherwise collect, the substance when it is produced, it trickles away and is wasted.
- Pseudopod. Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 10 (2d8 + 1) bludgeoning damage.
- Magical Burble. Ranged Spell Attack: +5 to hit, range 60 ft., one target. Hit: 10 (3d6) acid, cold, fire, or poison damage.
It’s Alive! Alchemical apprentice oozes form spontaneously from the waste product of alchemy labs. The creatures do not travel far from the source of their birth, as it is often the only supply of food in the region.
Assistants and Guardians. Alchemists keep these oozes as pets and assistants in their labs. The creatures possess a surprising intelligence pertaining to alchemy and can help an alchemist in her work. They require little care and can survive a very long time on a small pile of sulfur or similar compounds. They seem to absorb minerals and garbage without ill effect. The oozes often offer protection to a laboratory, as their survival is linked to its continued usage.
Burbling and Bubbling Sounds. When an alchemical apprentice ooze uses its telepathy, it emits a series of blurbs, blops, and other rather liquid and sometimes almost-sensible sounds. Those hearing these noises often become convinced it is a dialect of Aquan.
Creature Codex. © 2018 Open Design LLC; Authors Wolfgang Baur, Dan Dillon, Richard Green, James Haeck, Chris Harris, Jeremy Hochhalter, James Introcaso, Chris Lockey, Shawn Merwin, and Jon Sawatsky.