A sentient pool of blood and protoplasm seeps forward, the thin membrane encasing its form rippling with undulating pustules.
Medium ooze, unaligned
Armor Class 8
Hit Points 30 (4d8 + 12)
Speed 10 ft., climb 10 ft.
|16 (+3)||6 (-2)||16 (+3)||1 (-5)||6 (-2)||2 (-4)|
Saving Throws Constitution +5
Damage Resistances cold, necrotic, slashing
Damage Immunities poison
Condition Immunities blinded, charmed, deafened, exhaustion, frightened, poisoned, prone
Senses blindsight 60 ft. (blind beyond this radius), passive Perception 8
Challenge 1 (200 XP)
- Amorphous. The ooze can move through a space as narrow as 1 inch wide without squeezing.
- Ooze Nature. An ooze doesn’t require sleep.
- Seeping Death. A living creature that touches the ooze or hits it with a melee attack while within 5 feet of it takes 4 (1d8) necrotic damage and must succeed on a DC 13 Constitution saving throw or contract a disease. At the end of each long rest, the diseased creature must succeed on a DC 13 Constitution saving throw or its Dexterity score is reduced by 1d4. The reduction lasts until the target finishes a long rest after the disease is cured. If the disease reduces the creature’s Dexterity to 0, the creature dies and its body becomes a suppurating ooze 1d4 hours later. The disease lasts until removed by the lesser restoration spell or other similar magic.
- Spider Climb. The ooze can climb difficult surfaces, including upside down on ceilings, without needing to make an ability check.
- Pseudopod. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d6 + 3) bludgeoning damage plus 9 (2d8) necrotic damage. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 13 Constitution saving throw or become infected with the seeping death disease (see the Seeping Death trait).
Unnatural Antibodies. Suppurating oozes lurk in horrible, disease-ridden places. These semi-transparent accretions of pus and coagulant are borne from the liquefied remains of victims of a disease called the Seeping Death.
Morbid Liquefaction. The contagion spread by the suppurating ooze is a radically advanced form of liquefactive necrosis and helps the ooze slowly digest its fleshy prey.
Variant: Seeping Death Skeleton
Sometimes, the skeletal victim of a suppurating ooze will reanimate, either by the twisted will of a necromancer or the ebb and flow of wild magic. Seeping Death Skeletons are considered CR 2 monsters and gain the following attack:
- Diseased Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 5 (1d6 + 2) slashing damage plus 9 (2d8) necrotic damage. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 14 Constitution saving throw or become infected with the seeping death.
Creature Codex. © 2018 Open Design LLC; Authors Wolfgang Baur, Dan Dillon, Richard Green, James Haeck, Chris Harris, Jeremy Hochhalter, James Introcaso, Chris Lockey, Shawn Merwin, and Jon Sawatsky.