Kudzu, the Everblight is a sentient and malicious plant, capable of movement but largely satisfied to draw in prey with its sweet scent. Those who resist the influence of its perfume find that it is also a terrifying and deadly combatant. It is driven by a simple but unceasing hunger.
Dark Heart of the Forest. Kudzu, the Everblight lurks at the heart of a preternaturally peaceful forest or marsh. Unusual wildlife behavior is the first sign of its proximity, but by that point it may already be too late for those who are weak of will.
Blood Hunger. Its perfume calms violent impulses, as Kudzu, the Everblight prefers to drain its victims slowly, so as to stay fed as long as possible. When bleeding bodies fall to the earth near it, though, the kaiju blooms and flourishes, sprouting even more deadly vines.
Gargantuan plant, neutral evil
Armor Class 22 (natural armor)
Hit Points 627 (38d20 + 228)
Speed 40 ft., climb 30 ft.
|25 (+7)||14 (+2)||23 (+6)||13 (+1)||16 (+3)||18 (+4)|
Saving Throws Strength+14, Constitution+13
Skills Insight +10, Nature +8, Perception +10
Damage Resistances acid, cold, fire, lightning, necrotic, thunder
Condition Immunities frightened, prone, unconscious
Senses darkvision 600 feet, passive Perception 20
Languages Common, Elven, Sylvan (can’t speak)
Challenge 24 (62,000 XP)
- Colossal Creature. Kaiju are creatures far larger than the scale of others. Conventional weapons, even highly-enchanted ones, lack the mass to deal serious wounds to a kaiju. The same is true for all but the mightiest spells. When a creature of Huge size or smaller deals damage to a kaiju with a weapon or feature, or with a spell of 8th level or lower, it deals half damage, which can be reduced further by resistance or saving throws. Siege weapons and creatures with the Siege Monster trait are treated like Gargantuan creatures. Gargantuan creatures and 9th-level spells (including lower-level spells cast with 9th-level slots) deal normal damage, which can be reduced further by resistance or saving throws. Kaiju deal double damage to objects and structures. They ignore normal difficult terrain, and treat thick forests, settlements, or mountains as difficult rather than impassable terrain.
- Feed. Kudzu, the Everblight imposes disadvantage on death saving throws made by creatures within its reach. When any creature fails a death saving throw in that area, Kudzu, the Everblight creates an additional vine that acts on its turn. The vine has 100 hit points, AC 15, speed 0, and attacks like one of Kudzu, the Everblight’s standard vine attacks. It lasts for 1 hour or until reduced to 0 hit points.
- Legendary Resistance (3/Day). If Kudzu, the Everblight fails a saving throw, it can choose to succeed instead.
- Innate Spellcasting. Kudzu, the Everblight’s spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 19). It can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:
- Calming Fragrance. The region surrounding Kudzu, the Everblight is suffused with its sweet perfume, which calms emotions and blunts aggression. Any creature within 1 mile of Kudzu, the Everblight at the start of the creature’s turn must succeed on a DC 21 Charisma saving throw. On a failure, Kudzu, the Everblight charms the creature until the end of the creature’s next turn. A creature that successfully saves against this effect three times becomes immune to it for the next 24 hours.
- Multiattack. Kudzu, the Everblight makes five vine attacks.
- Vine. Melee Weapon Attack: +14 to hit, reach 30 ft., one target. Hit: 29 (5d8 + 7) bludgeoning damage, and the target must succeed on a DC 21 Constitution saving throw or suffer an additional 7 (2d6) damage from bleeding at the start of its next turn. Multiple bleeding wounds can affect a creature simultaneously. Any creature can take an action to stanch all of a target’s wounds with a successful DC 16 Wisdom (Medicine) check. The wound also closes if the target receives magical healing.
Kudzu, the Everblight can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature’s turn. Kudzu, the Everblight regains spent legendary actions at the start of its turn.
- Vine. Kudzu, the Everblight makes a vine attack.
- Detect. Kudzu, the Everblight makes a Wisdom (Perception) check.
- Recover. Kudzu, the Everblight regains 75 hit points. Once it uses this ability, it cannot do so again until the end of its next turn.
Kaiju Codex. © copyright 2015 Steven D. Russell; Authors Elaine Betts and Justin P. Sluder