Large undead, chaotic evil
Armor Class 16 (natural armor)
Hit Points 190 (20d10 + 80)
Speed 50 ft.
|21 (+5)||18 (+4)||19 (+4)||8 (-1)||14 (+2)||12 (+1)|
Saving Throws Strength +10, Dexterity +9, Constitution +9, Wisdom +7
Damage Vulnerabilities radiant
Damage Resistances bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical weapons
Damage Immunities necrotic, poison
Condition Immunities exhaustion, frightened, poisoned
Skills Athletics +10, Intimidation +6, Perception +7, Stealth +9
Senses darkvision 120 ft., passive Perception 17
Challenge 15 (13,000 XP)
- Dark Sight: magical darkness doesn’t impede the bone jackal’s darkvision.
- Innate Spellcasting: The bone jackal’s innate spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 14). It can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:
- 2/day: darkness
- Light Sensitivity: while in bright light, the bone jackal has disadvantage on attack rolls as well as on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight.
- Shadow Stealth: While in dim light or darkness, the bone jackal can take the Hide action as a bonus action.
- Undead Fortitude: if damage reduces the bone jackal to 0 hit points, it must make a Constitution saving throw with a DC of 5 + the damage taken, unless the damage is radiant or from a critical hit. On a success, the bone jackal drops to 1 hit point instead.
- Multiattack: The bone jackal makes two bite attacks.
- Bite: Melee Weapon Attack: +10 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 21 (3d10 + 5) piercing damage and 26 (4d12) necrotic damage.
- Frightful Presence: Each creature of the bone jackal’s choice that is within 120 ft. of the bone jackal and aware of it must succeed on a DC 16 Wisdom saving throw or become frightened for 1 minute. A creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success. If a creature’s saving throw is successful or the effect ends for it, the creature is immune to the bone jackal’s Frightful Presence for the next 24 hours.
- Shadow Step: The bone jackal magically teleports up to 120 ft. to an unoccupied space. The bone jackal does not need line of sight to the space, but the bone jackal’s starting space and destination space must be in dim light or darkness.
GM advice: When the bone jackal teleports using shadow step, always include a description of how both the starting point and the end point were in shadow or darkness. This lets players figure out how to shut the teleporting down.
Creatures of bone and shadow, bone jackals are massive jackal-like beasts that feast upon the fear of those whom they hunt. Easily distinguished by the bony plates and ridges protruding from their scarred and twisted hide, these undead beasts stalk the dark places of the world, slipping from shadow to shadow as they search for their prey.
Gods and Icons, Copyright 2016, Dread Unicorn Games; Authors: John WS Marvin, Vanessa Rose Phin, Connor W. Marvin.