This creature’s long, horse-like body has far too many legs with multiple arms that end in rending claws, while its misshapen head has a fanged maw used for rending flesh and sucking out souls.
Large undead, chaotic evil
Armor Class 14 (natural armor)
Hit Points 127 (15d10 + 45)
Speed 60 ft.
|17 (+3)||15 (+2)||16 (+3)||12 (+1)||18 (+4)||17 (+3)|
Skills Perception +8
Damage Resistances cold, lightning; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical attacks
Damage Immunities necrotic, poison
Condition Immunities charmed, exhaustion, poisoned
Senses darkvision 120 ft., passive Perception 18
Challenge 9 (5,000 XP)
- Corruption. If the külmking moves through another creature, it can use a bonus action to corrupt that creature’s soul. The target creature must make a DC 16 Charisma saving throw. A creature paralyzed by the külmking has disadvantage on this saving throw. On a failed save, a creature suffers from terrible and violent thoughts and tendencies. Over the course of 2d4 days, its alignment shifts to chaotic evil. A creature that dies during this time, or after this shift is complete, rises 24 hours later as a külmking. The corruption can be reversed by a remove curse spell or similar magic used before the creature’s death. On a success, a creature is immune to the külmking’s Corruption for the next 24 hours.
- Incorporeal Movement. The külmking can pass through other creatures and objects as if they were difficult terrain. It takes 5 (1d10) force damage if it ends its turn inside an object.
- Trampling Charge. If the külmking moves at least 20 feet straight toward a creature and then hits it with a hooves attack on the same turn, that target must succeed on a DC 16 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone. If the target is prone, the külmking can make one hooves attack against it as a bonus action.
- Multiattack. The külmking makes two claw attacks and one bite or hooves attack.
- Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 12 (2d8 + 3) piercing damage. If the target is a creature that is not undead, it must make a DC 16 Constitution saving throw or take 12 (2d8 + 3) necrotic damage. The külmking regains hp equal to the amount of necrotic damage dealt.
- Claws. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 10 (2d6 + 3) slashing damage. If the target is not undead, it must succeed on a DC 16 Constitution saving throw or be paralyzed for 1 minute. The target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.
- Hooves. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 13 (3d6 + 3) bludgeoning damage.
Cursed Defiler. When a creature chooses to go out of its way to harm forests or other wildlands, fey spirits can curse it to become a külmking. This twisted, horrified undead is forced to become guardian to the lands it once corrupted.
Stalker of Fey. Though a külmking must follow the wording of its curse to protect the lands to which it is tied, it is a vindictive spirit and will often hunt fey who enter its domain. It delights in terrorizing small sprites and gentle bearfolk alike.
Sound of a Thousand Hooves. The sound of a külmking’s hooves on cobblestones or stony ground often echoes and re-echoes, sounding like a stampede or a much larger company of horses. Occasionally, a pair of külmkings will pull a carriage for vampires, ghouls, or liches.
Creature Codex. © 2018 Open Design LLC; Authors Wolfgang Baur, Dan Dillon, Richard Green, James Haeck, Chris Harris, Jeremy Hochhalter, James Introcaso, Chris Lockey, Shawn Merwin, and Jon Sawatsky.