Medium undead (fey), chaotic evil
Armor Class 17 (natural armor)
Hit Points 170 (20d8 + 80)
Speed 30 ft.
|20 (+5)||15 (+2)||18 (+4)||13 (+1)||13 (+1)||18 (+4)|
Saving Throws Str +9, Dex +6, Con +8, Cha +8
Skills Athletics +9, Nature +5, Perception +5
Damage Resistances acid, fire, necrotic; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical weapons
Damage Immunities cold, lightning
Senses darkvision 90 ft., passive Perception 15
Languages Common, Infernal, Sylvan
Challenge 12 (8,400 XP)
- Innate Spellcasting. The mavka’s innate spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 16, +8 to hit with spell attacks). She can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:
- Constant: protection from evil and good
- At will: create or destroy water, dancing lights, ray of frost, resistance, witch bolt
- 3/day each: darkness, hold person, inflict wounds, invisibility, silence
- 1/day each: animate dead, bestow curse, blindness/deafness, contagion, dispel magic, vampiric touch
- Nightmare Mount. A mavka is bonded to a nightmare when it is created. Mavkas are encountered with their mounts 95% of the time.
- Sunlight Hypersensitivity. The mavka takes 20 radiant damage when she starts her turn in sunlight. While in sunlight, she has disadvantage on attack rolls and ability checks.
- Multiattack. The mavka makes two slam attacks.
- Slam. Melee Weapon Attack: +9 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 23 (4d8 + 5) bludgeoning damage plus 11 (2d10) necrotic damage.
With burnt and blackened skin, burnt twigs for hair, and clawed hands and feet that resemble burnt and twisted roots, mavkas seem scorched and even frail. Pupil-less red eyes gleam in their eye sockets with a hellish green flame.
These twisted dryads have been turned into vampiric monstrosities by undead warlocks and vampiric experiments.
Death Riders. All mavkas ride nightmare mounts as fearsome raiders, often snatching victims up into the saddle, never to be seen again. They despise and trample foot soldiers as peasants unworthy of attention.
Hag Killers. Mavkas are the mortal enemies of red hags, who call these undead horrors “greenbanes.”
Mavkas were once three dryad sisters. The dryads and their trees were killed and then raised as powerful undead. Warlocks bonded the new undead with nightmares instead of trees to complete their corruption.
These three sisters have since spawned many more such undead fey whom pursue their own ends, destroying vampires, laying waste to whole villages, and seeking power. The mavkas occasionally refer to one another as “sister-wives.”
Tome of Beasts. Copyright 2016, Open Design; Authors Chris Harris, Dan Dillon, Rodrigo Garcia Carmona, and Wolfgang Baur.