Decomposing warriors arise from among the slain upon the battlefield. Their armor is green with verdigris, and a black miasma emanates from them. Their eye sockets are hollow, dimly glowing a pallid green, and their weapons absorb light.
Medium undead, lawful evil
Armor Class 18 (chain mail, shield)
Hit Points 102 (12d8 + 48)
Speed 30 ft.
|19 (+4)||12 (+1)||19 (+4)||10 (+0)||14 (+2)||14 (+2)|
Skills Stealth +4 Damage Resistance slashing from nonmagical attacks
Damage Immunities poison
Condition Immunities poisoned
Senses truesight 60 ft., passive Perception 12
Languages Common, Draconic
Challenge 7 (2,900 XP)
- Battle Frenzy. Once reduced to 30 hp or less, the tveirherjar makes all attacks with advantage.
- Curse of the Tveirherjar (Recharge 6). As a bonus action, the tveirherjar forces a creature it hit with its Niflheim longsword this round to make a DC 15 Constitution saving throw. The creature takes 36 (8d8) necrotic damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. If an einherjar is reduced to 0 hp by this effect, it dies, cursed to become a tveirherjar at sundown.
- Niflheim Longsword. The tveirherjar’s longsword absorbs light within 30 feet of it, changing bright light to dim light and dim light to darkness. When the tveirherjar dies, its longsword crumbles away, its magic returning to the creator for the next tveirherjar.
- Undead Nature. The tveirherjar doesn’t require air, food, drink, or sleep.
- Unerring Tracker. The tveirherjar can locate any einherjar within 1,000 feet. This trait works like the locate creature spell, except running water doesn’t block it.
- Multiattack. A tveirherjar makes two attacks with its Niflheim longsword.
- Niflheim Longsword. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 13 (2d8 + 4) slashing damage plus 4 (1d8) necrotic damage.
- Spear of the Northern Sky (Recharge 5–6). Ranged Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, range 30/120 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d6 + 4) piercing damage plus 10 (3d6) radiant damage, and the target is outlined in a shimmering light until the end of the tveirherjar’s next turn. This light works like the faerie fire spell, except only the tveirherjar has advantage on attacks against the creature and the light is not absorbed by the tveirherjar’s Niflheim longsword.
- Terrifying Glare (Recharge 5–6). The tveirherjar targets one creature it can see within 30 feet of it. If the creature can see the tveirherjar, it must succeed on a DC 15 Wisdom saving throw or be frightened for 1 minute. While frightened, the creature is paralyzed. The creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.
Countering The Valkyrie. The serpent glutting on the corpses of the fallen while tangled amid the roots of Yggdrasil, has taken issue with the valkyrie poaching the best from the battlefield. He relishes the hatred of those who die with anger in their hearts, turning them into his captains in the fight against the valkyrie.
Rebirth From Death. Tveirherjar are born into the dusk on the evening of their mortal demise. They stand up from amidst the gore and shamble away into the night. They cannot remember how they came to be, only that they have been given a new, higher purpose: to save their fallen comrades from Valhalla.
Creature Codex. © 2018 Open Design LLC; Authors Wolfgang Baur, Dan Dillon, Richard Green, James Haeck, Chris Harris, Jeremy Hochhalter, James Introcaso, Chris Lockey, Shawn Merwin, and Jon Sawatsky.