Medium humanoid (any race), neutral
Armor Class 13 (leather armor)
Hit Points 19 (3d8 + 6)
Speed 30 ft.
|11 (+0)||14 (+2)||15 (+2)||10 (+0)||13 (+1)||10 (+0)|
- Multiattack. The scorpion cultist makes two melee attacks or two ranged attacks.
- Scimitar. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft, one target. Hit: 5 (1d6 + 2) slashing damage plus 3 (1d6) poison damage.
- Sling. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, range 30/120 ft., one target. Hit: 4 (1d4 + 2) bludgeoning damage.
Variant: Vampire Warlock
The vampire warlock has made a pact with a foul power to diminish some of its weaknesses and to gain more control over its own blood and the blood of others. Its thirst becomes so all-consuming that the vampire warlock can draw the blood of others through the air to its open maw.
A vampire warlock isn’t subject to the Forbiddance or Harmed by Running Water weaknesses of standard vampires, and it takes only 10 radiant damage from direct sunlight instead of 20.
It gains the trait Innate Spellcasting.
- Innate Spellcasting. The vampire’s spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 17). It can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components.
The standard vampire’s Charm and Children of the Night actions are replaced with the following action options:
- Bloody Arms. The vampire warlock saturates itself in its own blood, causing 20 poison damage to itself. For 1 minute, its armor class increases to 20 and its unarmed strike and bite attacks do an additional 7 (2d6) poison damage.
- Call the Blood. The vampire warlock targets one humanoid it can see within 60 feet. The target must be injured (has fewer than its normal maximum hit points). The target’s blood is drawn out of the body and streams through the air to the vampire warlock. The target takes 25 (6d6 + 4) necrotic damage and its hit point maximum is reduced by an equal amount until the target finishes a long rest; a successful DC 17 Constitution saving throw prevents both effects. The vampire warlock regains hit points equal to half the damage dealt.
- Blood Puppet. The vampire warlock targets one humanoid it can see within 30 feet. The target must succeed on a DC 17 Wisdom saving throw or be dominated by the vampire warlock as if it were the target of a dominate person spell. The target repeats the saving throw each time the vampire warlock or the vampire’s companions do anything harmful to it, ending the effect on itself on a success. Otherwise, the effect lasts 24 hours or until the vampire warlock is destroyed, is on a different plane of existence than the target, or uses a bonus action to end the effect; the vampire warlock doesn’t need to concentrate on maintaining the effect.
- Children of Hell (1/Day). The vampire warlock magically calls 2d4 imps or 1 shadow. The called creatures arrive in 1d4 rounds, acting as allies of the vampire warlock and obeying its spoken commands, and remain for 1 hour, until the vampire warlock dies, or until the vampire warlock dismisses them as a bonus action.
The standard vampire’s legendary actions are replaced with the following options:
- Misty Step. The vampire warlock uses misty step.
- Unarmed Strike. The vampire warlock makes one unarmed strike.
- Call the Blood (Costs 2 Actions). The vampire warlock uses call the blood.
Tome of Beasts. Copyright 2016, Open Design; Authors Chris Harris, Dan Dillon, Rodrigo Garcia Carmona, and Wolfgang Baur.