The most revered void-touched, the void speakers whisper antitruths in Void Speech, drawing power from the tainted unwords.
Medium humanoid (any race), neutral evil
Armor Class 12 (15 with mage armor)
Hit Points 58 (13d8)
Speed 30 ft.
|9 (–1)||14 (+2)||11 (+0)||18 (+4)||10 (+0)||8 (–1)|
Saving Throws Intelligence +7, Wis+3
Skills Arcana +7, History +7
Damage Resistances necrotic, psychic; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical attacks
Senses blindsight 60 ft., passive Perception 10
Languages Common, Void Speech, plus any three languages
Challenge 7 (2,900 XP)
- Insane. The void speaker has advantage on saving throws against being charmed or frightened.
- Spellcasting. The void speaker is a 9th-level spellcaster. Its spellcasting ability is Intelligence (spell save DC 15, +7 to hit with spell attacks). It has the following wizard spells prepared:
- Cantrips (at will): fire bolt, minor illusion, prestidigitation, shocking grasp
- 1st level (4 slots): burning hands, mage armor, magic missile
- 2nd level (3 slots): hold person, misty step, suggestion
- 3rd level (3 slots): counterspell, dispel magic, fear
- 4th level (3 slots): black tentacles, blight, confusion
- 5th level (1 slot): cone of cold
- Dagger. Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft. or range 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 4 (1d4 + 2) piercing damage.
- Word of the Void (Recharge 5–6). The void speaker utters a magical phrase in Void Speech. Each hostile creature within 30 feet of the void speaker who can hear it is affected by one of the following:
- Decaying Word. Each affected creature must make a DC 15 Constitution saving throw, taking 21 (6d6) necrotic damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
- Repelling Word. Each affected creature must make a DC 15 Strength saving throw. On a failure, the creature takes 7 (2d6) thunder damage, is pushed 15 feet directly away from the void speaker and is knocked prone. On a success, the creature takes half damage and isn’t knocked prone.
- Unsettling Word. Each affected creature must succeed on a DC 15 Wisdom saving throw or be frightened for 1 minute. A creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.
- Rebuke from Beyond. When a creature the void speaker can see within 60 feet hits it with an attack, the attacker takes 7 (2d6) necrotic damage as the void speaker barks a destructive word of Void Speech.
They often began as wizards who stumbled upon some scrap of forbidden lore and studied it so deeply it consumed them. Now they form the leadership and direction of clandestine void cults.
Wizards are no strangers to the power of words, and those who accept the gifts of the Void become formidable foes of all sane life. The void speaker can reshape reality with its tainted words, splitting the flesh of foes, driving them mad with fear, or hurling them bodily to the ground.
Creature Codex. © 2018 Open Design LLC; Authors Wolfgang Baur, Dan Dillon, Richard Green, James Haeck, Chris Harris, Jeremy Hochhalter, James Introcaso, Chris Lockey, Shawn Merwin, and Jon Sawatsky.